BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got confirmation from my dealer about winter rims.

Style 184M 18" needed to accomodate the brakes.

245/45-18 Michelin pilot 8x18. Price incl. VAT in Sweden is approx 3300 €.

IMO a bit to open but quite OK for winter usage.

//Ekan

:viking:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
EKAN said:
Finally got confirmation from my dealer about winter rims.

Style 184M 18" needed to accomodate the brakes.

245/45-18 Michelin pilot 8x18. Price incl. VAT in Sweden is approx 3300 €.

IMO a bit to open but quite OK for winter usage.

//Ekan

:viking:

Yes a bit to open.. like the m6 wheels
But they look good in my opinion

thanks for sharing


beckhammania23
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
That is bad news. Someplace else in this forum there is a picture of the e60 with these rims and it looks horrible.

Wondering why the hell they always make them one inch smaller than summer rims. Every generation they grow bigger (hence 17" for e39) so that they can accomodate always bigger brakes, but they always make sure they look crap.
I understand what matters om snow is the width, not the diameter, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
michal12 said:
That is bad news. Someplace else in this forum there is a picture of the e60 with these rims and it looks horrible.

I believe you refer to the attached jpeg?

I agree that they are not the best choice but still quite alright.

Anyone got a better suggestion for winter tyres?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
EKAN said:
michal12 said:
That is bad news. Someplace else in this forum there is a picture of the e60 with these rims and it looks horrible.

I believe you refer to the attached jpeg?

I agree that they are not the best choice but still quite alright.

Anyone got a better suggestion for winter tyres?
I was planning on using my style 124 wheels from my 545.
Don´t know about the offset though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
michal12 said:
Wondering why the hell they always make them one inch smaller than summer rims. Every generation they grow bigger (hence 17" for e39) so that they can accomodate always bigger brakes, but they always make sure they look crap.
I understand what matters om snow is the width, not the diameter, right?
You're right about the width of teh tyre being the major factor, look at how narrow rally car tyres are. But it's not the diameter of the wheel it's the profile of the tyre that is the key element for smaller winter rims. The smaller diameter rim allows for a higher profile tyre whilst keeping the total rolling radius close to the same. As far as I'm aware this larger profile improves the winter performance of the wheel tyre combo, also I'm sure the chains would not fit on the very low profile tyres 19" rims would require without damaging the rims.

Hope this helps
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top