BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is annoying me…

When it is raining, I sometimes have to run with the A/C on in order to keep the whole car free from condensation, which works a treat. My previous car, a 94 525 also suffered from what I would call poor ventilation, causing the car to mist up during wet weather.

What I also noticed, is that after running with the A/C on, when I start the car the next day, the front window starts to mist up, this is only the case if I have been running with the A/C on the day previous though, so this is not really an issue. (There was in fact another thread about this).

With the weather getting colder though, I am noticing that the inside of the car seems to have a lot of condensation when I leave the car standing for a few hours, especially the rear.

Do any of you guys have similar problems? I used to suffer this quite a lot with my other cars, but thought nothing off it, now however it is annoying me.

I know that if I have a leak this would not help, but there does not seem to be any indication of a leak anywhere, from coolant or otherwise.

It was also mentioned to me that leather interiors do not help.

All comments appreciated…

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get a similar 'feature' to a lesser extent, i.e. Sometimes have to run the A/C for 5 mins or so to clear condensation, more so on the cold damp mornings. Normal I guess ?

To relieve the condensation problem you get coming back to the car, try using the timer on the OBC to run the fan when you leave the car after using the A/C. This will 'dry out' the evaporator core which accumulates condensation while the A/C is running, and its this residual moisture I suspect is misting up the windscreen when you come back to the car the next day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same problem with condensation, especially in the rear. I had a problem with the seals on the sunroof causing water to leak down into the boot and then under the rear seat but I had that fixed 6 months ago. Since then I haven't been able to spot any leaks but seem to get a lot of condensation.

Recently the front window has been fogging up while the car is standing, like the condensation is coming from the vents under the window. It's not the AC since I never use it. It clears up pretty quickly once I start driving thought.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the same sort of problem ie misting up windows when its damp and cold outside. FWIW I was told that the RHD cars are crap in this regard, the left hookers by comparison dont have a problem. Something to do with how the microfilter/vents are messed up by the RHD setup.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
M5e3438 said:
I have the same sort of problem ie misting up windows when its damp and cold outside. FWIW I was told that the RHD cars are crap in this regard, the left hookers by comparison dont have a problem. Something to do with how the microfilter/vents are messed up by the RHD setup.
I have a left hooker with climate control and get the same issue. Unless the A/C is on the car steams up. However, running the car in traffic with the A/C on, makes the car lumpy to drive and the revs rise and fall sounding like I don't know how to use the clutch!!!

Therefore I'm contantly running it for 5 mins, turning it off, wait for the mist to return and start over!!

Must be a feature on these cars I guess!!??

Steve

·
Registered
395 Posts
What you are describing is exactly what I experience on wet days. The windows mist up - cleared in seconds with the AC. Switch it off and the windows mist again! Once you've used the AC to clear the mist you have to stick with it all day. Switching it off contributes to the misting problem with the wet evaporator!!

This time of year I always have:

- Hot air to the foot well. Though its not that effective. My shins get hot!
- Fresh air to the centre vents (always set to full cold). Slider set to suit.
- Windscreen vents to keep screen clear. AC on if required.

The trouble with this setup (AC on) is the 'freezing' cold air from the centre vents :cool:

I guess you guys with climate have a whole bunch of other issues.....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange, not a bit of mist/condensation in the car this morning...

I may try a little experiment, next time I am working night shift, I'm going to nip out an hour or so before my shift ends and if I see condensation in the car, I'm going to run the OBC-VENT feature for the 20 minutes or so, then see how that effects the inside of the car.

I've never been too keen on trying this just in case it drains the batter too much.

See the thing is I can handle the condensation when it is wet weather when I am driving the car, as I can cope with that by the use of A/C and tactical vent positioning, but it is the condensation that you find on returning to the car after it has been left standing for a period that gets to me.
The thing is that if it is cold enough, then the condensation on the inside will also freeze, had this before with my older Capri, not fun...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts