BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1068 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vehicle info: 2010 E60 M5 (S85 V10)
• Currently at 63k miles (on original RB’s).
• Warm up routine is 1-2 min idle, then drive below 3500k rpm until up to operating temps.
• Had 2 oil changes at approximately 4,000 mi intervals.
• Used only 10W-60 oil.
• Spirited driving and redline every so often.

The wear is next to none with only 2 bearings exhibiting copper wear. Sorry, the order between top and bottom aren’t organized. So I’m unsure which bearing went to where. (Close-up pics shown) @langracingdevelopment took care of the work and use ACL Race Bearings to achieve the required clearance of 0023" to .0025" bearing clearance. I will continue to use 10W-60 and use normal warm-up routine.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is exactly what to be expected when properly warmed up the engine! Just follow the old school F1 long warm-up before hitting the redline.

BMW failed to educate the owners of proper warm-up given the thick race engine oil. I have seen many M drivers just start and go fast hastily.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is exactly what to be expected when properly warmed up the engine! Just follow the old school F1 long warm-up before hitting the redline.

BMW failed to educate the owners of proper warm-up given the thick race engine oil. I have seen many M drivers just start and go fast hastily.
I agree with everything you said!

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
230 Posts
My contribution from my 2008, replaced at about 89k. Number 9 looks scary!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2008 M5, 78,750 miles.
  • I'm the third owner. The second owner got it as a lease return CPO car and I bought it with ~74.5k miles on the clock
  • Oil changes: before me, probably when the light came on. I have changed the oil twice, after 4,200 miles (from castrol to liqui moly) and then after 3,600 miles (changed bearings, LM to BMW 10w60)
  • Blackstone oil report at 75k showed no abnormal wear (lead 5, copper 1)
  • I decided to change the bearings based on mileage, although the oil report showed no bearing wear
  • Local shop (hmb motorwerks) replaced the bearings, highly recommended
Not too bad for close to 80k miles, but it seems the previous oil report (only 3,600 miles ago) did not show what was going on. I had the shop collect oil to have it analyzed. I will update the post when I get the oil results back.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Preface:
2010 M6 w/SMG trans, new to me at 73,400 mi. First thing I did was do the rod bearings, spark plugs, and used the new BMW 10w60 oil. Car drove perfectly normal prior and made no noise for me to suspect anything was wrong. Car came with DINAN Intake, TBs, and Exhaust and assuming with a tune or calibration for the TBs.

Details:
  • 73,400 miles
  • I’m the 4th owner, have no history of any kind
  • No idea what the previous owner’s did for Intervals
  • No oil analysis performed
  • As preventative maintenance, peace of mind especially not knowing its past
  • Job was performed by MNC Performance in NY.
The bearings are not in any particular order, these are the 088/089 bearings:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Preface:
2010 M6 w/SMG trans, new to me at 73,400 mi. First thing I did was do the rod bearings, spark plugs, and used the new BMW 10w60 oil. Car drove perfectly normal prior and made no noise for me to suspect anything was wrong. Car came with DINAN Intake, TBs, and Exhaust and assuming with a tune or calibration for the TBs.

Details:
  • 73,400 miles
  • I’m the 4th owner, have no history of any kind
  • No idea what the previous owner’s did for Intervals
  • No oil analysis performed
  • As preventative maintenance, peace of mind especially not knowing its past
  • Job was performed by MNC Performance in NY.
The bearings are not in any particular order, these are the 088/089 bearings:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They look perfect imo

·
Registered
35 Posts

I bought an ‘07 6-speed with 84,000 miles. I drove it 5 miles, and then I put it up on jacks to change the rod bearings among other things. I did them myself, and I’m now running a light weight oil (low rpms) to flush the engine for two 50 mile intervals. After this, I’ll put in the regular oil and open it up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
View attachment 932693
I bought an ‘07 6-speed with 84,000 miles. I drove it 5 miles, and then I put it up on jacks to change the rod bearings among other things. I did them myself, and I’m now running a light weight oil (low rpms) to flush the engine for two 50 mile intervals. After this, I’ll put in the regular oil and open it up.
It's amazing what paranoia makes of us...E60 M5 owners...yes...the risk is huge...but in your case...for example....the bearings were perfectly fine for another 70k:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's amazing what paranoia makes of us...E60 M5 owners...yes...the risk is huge...but in your case...for example....the bearings were perfectly fine for another 70k:)
You're saying those bearings he has pictured are still good? What about all the signs of wear on a "non-contact" part?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
You're saying those bearings he has pictured are still good? What about all the signs of wear on a "non-contact" part?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes..they are in decent condition for mileage...
Have you seen bearings of any other car around the mileage?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Still fairly worn compared to other bearings I've seen albeit from other engine builds. Like on my Mustang it has hardly any wear at similar mileage when I was building my block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
138 Posts
Still fairly worn compared to other bearings I've seen albeit from other engine builds. Like on my Mustang it has hardly any wear at similar mileage when I was building my block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree..but you are comparing a high performance modern engine with a ford engine:)
Imo this bearings look far from failure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been looking into M5's for about 6 years now, finally bought last year. Never thought I'd post in this thread but here goes:
2010 M5
  • 68,160 miles 109,700km
  • Third owner
  • My warm up routine is start, idle until cold routine mostly complete, run in my 25mph zone around or under 2k RPM light loads, under 3k once around 105F, drive as normal once around 212F. Meaningless based on previous owners accumulating most of the mileage.
  • Engine is in otherwise good health, quiet as a Toyota port-injected V6 although a slight warm start oscillation for a few minutes.
  • Had heard a faint "hockey card in bike spokes" sound when freewheeling at 2500RPM, knocking at idle under load, and speedy click around 3800RPM
Swapped out bearings at RMP Motors in Toronto last night, sounds are gone although these certainly aren't the worst I've seen. They don't appear to be made out of copper as I've dug through them since then. They've been handled roughly, hence the odd scratches here and there:

·
1,743 Posts
Been looking into M5's for about 6 years now, finally bought last year. Never thought I'd post in this thread but here goes:
2010 M5
  • 68,160 miles 109,700km
  • Third owner
  • My warm up routine is start, idle until cold routine mostly complete, run in my 25mph zone around or under 2k RPM light loads, under 3k once around 105F, drive as normal once around 212F. Meaningless based on previous owners accumulating most of the mileage.
  • Engine is in otherwise good health, quiet as a Toyota port-injected V6 although a slight warm start oscillation for a few minutes.
  • Had heard a faint "hockey card in bike spokes" sound when freewheeling at 2500RPM, knocking at idle under load, and speedy click around 3800RPM
Swapped out bearings at RMP Motors in Toronto last night, sounds are gone although these certainly aren't the worst I've seen. They don't appear to be made out of copper as I've dug through them since then. They've been handled roughly, hence the odd scratches here and there:
Those almost don't look OEM. Post a pic of the back showing the stamping on them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those almost don't look OEM. Post a pic of the back showing the stamping on them.

Looks like a Clevite stamping, car has a production date of 07/09 so one of the earlier 2010's but still with the old 088/089 bearings instead of 702/703...! Perhaps Canada was somehow singled out for not receiving the 702/703 - or the engine was replaced under warranty with a shelved unit that is older. I can confirm the engine has the updated gears/lines etc.

·
1,743 Posts
Looks like a Clevite stamping, car has a production date of 07/09 so one of the earlier 2010's but still with the old 088/089 bearings instead of 702/703...! Perhaps Canada was somehow singled out for not receiving the 702/703 - or the engine was replaced under warranty with a shelved unit that is older. I can confirm the engine has the updated gears/lines etc.
Ok so they are normal copper bearings. Thought for a sec they were the lead-free type as you said you didn't see copper when digging (whatever that means).

·
Registered
40 Posts

Looks to be tri-metal to me, therefore revising my original thought of being copper free to stating instead that they weren't worn down to the copper as of yet!

1021 - 1040 of 1068 Posts