BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so for the first time since I can remember I had a chance to spend some time, wife, kids and house job list free, in my garage with the car. Been several years since I'd got my hands dirty doing proper motor maintenance, my previous car was a brand new E46 so never had much to do there, with a little apprehension and some sound write ups on this board I got stuck in........Text below with pics after.

First job change oil, was a bit shaky over the stripped sump plug fault we are prone too and must admit it was tight but once free it came away as expected, threads looked OK, new crush washer, filter housing o-ring went in, re-fitted not torqued down just tight enough. Job Done. 1hour.

Next, as the previous owner's tech had decided to re-fit the fuel filter with zip ties rather than the correct brackets I ordered the said brackets and installed, no fuss, no idea why the zip tie mod had been carried out, all good now. 30mins

Next spark plugs, found a lot of oil in the channel where the plug sits, normal? I'm not sure myself, any input here is appreciated, cleaned oil out oil and replaced plugs with NGK's, the old ones were Bosch, they all looked exactly the same at the tip, again people with more knowledge than me on how used spark plugs should look please chime in here, did not disconnect the Bremi's just manoeuvred out the way. Found one of the earth cables had been previously crushed when the plastic cable bracket had been re-fitted, probably the same fuel filter cable tie tech. Completed one side, fired up OK, onto the next side, found one Bremi loose, nuts backed off to the end of the thread, car drove OK so was not causing an issue, same tech?? fired up all OK. Job Done. 2 hours, (not counting the removal of the underbody trays whilst searching for the last Bremi cover bolt, honestly swear down it was the last bolt I dropped, the very last one).

Air filters, simplest job ever, Job Done 10mins.

Went for a drive, car felt exactly the same as it did previously, but my mind rests easier now, next on the list, T-Stat, separators and hoses, belts. Glad to have these jobs ticked off, don't know why I was worried about doing them, this is a great car but when it comes to jobs like this it is after all just another car, a bit of common sense made the day go really well.

Now to search on how to clear the Oil and Service indicator lights, I have INPA but don't think these can be rest using this tool.

Thanks for reading

Mike.....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The oil on the spark plug area is a leaking valve cover gasket..

Hook up INPA,go in the IKE and there you can reset the service functions...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, is this an urgent must do right now job or another for the list? Easy / Hard? Never knew you could do that with INPA, will this reset both service and oil lights?

Mike

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soz man, didn't know I was meant to call, yeah next week sounds good, am off, Thursday's best, wife and kids out all day, reset both service lights with INPA, simple to do once you know where to look..........tax runs out on Monday and I'm going to SORN it, gonna spend the money on getting the old Merc going so as I can leave the M in the garage for a bit, sort the coils, get the rims re-done plus other bits, no pressure then as I'll have another car to use.
Let me know if your going to come over I'll get some coolant and crack on with the Stat, belts etc etc.........how much coolant should I get? did you have oil in your spark plugs wells?

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts