BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of allowing the Beast to breathe. So far, I plan on Tubi's Cat Back exhaust system with resonators, mettalic cats, either RDS or SS headers. CAI will be Active Autowerkes. Along with a chip of some nature.

Questions: :3:

Is there extra pieces needed from the headers to the metallic cats?
How about the O2 sensors fore and aft of the cats?
What about connections from the Cats to the Tubis?

And what is the story with the "X" pipe. Do I need it? Is it included as part of the Tubi Cat Back System? Is it installed before or after the cats? I know I sound ignorant...

Basically I need to know if there are other pieces involved, what pitfalls could happen etc. As I see it now, looks like alot of cutting and welding will be happening...

Also: AA CAI--Can I use the UFMotorsport IATS Relocation Kit with this CAI?

Many thanks for any insight you can offer.

·
10,445 Posts
Typically, if you stick with a single manufacturer it is a simple bolt together procedure. For example SS has headers, cats, x pipe and exhaust, which can all be bolted on. Assuming you go with the same header and cat manufacturer, there will be no problem. The pre and post cat O2 sensors are retained. The Tubi system is cat back, and 'should' bolt on behind whichever cats you use, you may need to do a little trimming or adding of pipe to get the tubis to mate to the aftermarket cats. The tubi's include an x pipe within the resonator assembly. The x pipe is simply a crossover pipe, which connects to two sides of the exhaust, and is tuned to increase torque.

You can use the ufm iats relocation kit with the AA CAI, it'll work great. You should do a software upgrade (such as powerchip) to tune this to all work together.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So here is the million dollar question... Can you replace your cats and still pass smog? *kicks california smog laws* :noSMG:

mottati said:
Typically, if you stick with a single manufacturer it is a simple bolt together procedure. For example SS has headers, cats, x pipe and exhaust, which can all be bolted on. Assuming you go with the same header and cat manufacturer, there will be no problem. The pre and post cat O2 sensors are retained. The Tubi system is cat back, and 'should' bolt on behind whichever cats you use, you may need to do a little trimming or adding of pipe to get the tubis to mate to the aftermarket cats. The tubi's include an x pipe within the resonator assembly. The x pipe is simply a crossover pipe, which connects to two sides of the exhaust, and is tuned to increase torque.

You can use the ufm iats relocation kit with the AA CAI, it'll work great. You should do a software upgrade (such as powerchip) to tune this to all work together.

·
10,445 Posts
flynhawaiian said:
So here is the million dollar question... Can you replace your cats and still pass smog? *kicks california smog laws* :noSMG:
This is a two part question. One is will it pass the tailpipe test. With stock cats, not a problem, aftermarket cats? Well who knows, probably depends on the manufacturer. Second part is will it pass the visual, another it depends, will the smog tech look that carefully? it's hard to see the headers, but those cats are right there. On my previous 528, the smog tech initially told me he had to fail my car because the cats were aftermarket, they were not, he was expecting a different 'look' i suppose. We put the car up on the rack, i pointed out the roundel stamped into the cats, and then they proceeded. If you have a lax tech, or one who would look the other way for a c-note perhaps, that's another story.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike:

Thanks for the concise answer. I am looking at some custom work from the headers to the cats & from the cats to the Tubis. That OK.

The same headers and cats are for me, cost prohibitive. The EvoSport $250.00 each metalic cats seem worth the price, even if some extra fab is needed.

Glad to hear that the IATS relocation will work with the AA CAI. I want the whole breathing system to be fully clear, thats why the cats are important to me...

Since I am not yet sure whose Headers I will be using (Both on GB's seem good) and that there is probably not a real difference (maybe 5HP?) between the two, and I need the chip to tune the whole system correctly, I think either way is OK.

I am located in NY. My next inspection is Sept 2005. Car was a June 2000 production. So "legally" I am in the clear. And I expect these cats to pass inspection, although I am prepared for a problem if it comes up.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wounder if it would be possible to just stamp the cats with the roundel? Would be nice if we could get these directly from the manufactures stamped. That way if we have problems we can simply show them the roundel :). Or better yet, it would be nice if they came pre rusted :) that way no one could say anything :confused3

jjc1843 said:
Mike:

Thanks for the concise answer. I am looking at some custom work from the headers to the cats & from the cats to the Tubis. That OK.

The same headers and cats are for me, cost prohibitive. The EvoSport $250.00 each metalic cats seem worth the price, even if some extra fab is needed.

Glad to hear that the IATS relocation will work with the AA CAI. I want the whole breathing system to be fully clear, thats why the cats are important to me...

Since I am not yet sure whose Headers I will be using (Both on GB's seem good) and that there is probably not a real difference (maybe 5HP?) between the two, and I need the chip to tune the whole system correctly, I think either way is OK.

I am located in NY. My next inspection is Sept 2005. Car was a June 2000 production. So "legally" I am in the clear. And I expect these cats to pass inspection, although I am prepared for a problem if it comes up.

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts