BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having on questions

witch rpm does the Hud displays, when we enter into the yellow range, and further on finaly in the red range.

the Manual says, shift when you come in the yellow range, but latest in the red range. (So red range in the Hud must still be ok)

But those it mean when i hit the red range in the hud, i hit automaticly the rev limiter or is the hud slightly advanced over the analog tacho red range, or starts the rev limiter just a bit later on.

Thanks for some infos

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Easy, shift when you hit the rev limiter/ or just before, you will get used to it...and hold on......

·
Registered
534 Posts
In my experience, the HUD is always a little behind the tach. You want to shift just before you hit the rev limiter; hitting the rev limiter slows you down. I generally just watch the tach, but when watching the HUD I initiate the shift in the middle of the yellow zone. That gets the actual shift done just before hitting red and the limiter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
932 Posts
In my experience, the HUD is always a little behind the tach. You want to shift just before you hit the rev limiter; hitting the rev limiter slows you down. I generally just watch the tach, but when watching the HUD I initiate the shift in the middle of the yellow zone. That gets the actual shift done just before hitting red and the limiter. :thumbsup:

Yeah middle of the two yellows is where i was shifting pre ECU tuning. Now 2nd yellow early red no problem

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But what i do not understand, ist the red range in the hud the rev limiter, or it is just the last point to shift.

Because in the manuel it says, shift when the yelow range arrives, but latest when the red range arrives.

So in this case the red range cant be the rev limiter, otherwise the manuel would probably say, avoid the red range in the hud.

What you think

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To my understanding, when the HUD reaches the red mark, it is time to shift. It is not the redline, but it is within fractions of it. At that time, the HUD will flash, indicating that you must shift now. So I don't think redline = red bar on HUD.

However, when in first gear, the car is revving up much too fast. The tach and the HUD both lag, from my experience. So on the last block of yellow, I pull the paddle and the car will shift into 2nd, engaging at about 40+ MPH. As you are getting to the 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 shifts, you can actually wait until it hits the RED bar and pull the paddle. It will not bounce the limitier. The HUD will flash as well, right when you passed the RED bar. That is the Upshift Indicator.

Watch the following video. Hans Stuck drives the M6 and shifts when HUD flashes (which is one notch passed the RED). In the video, it is about the 0:32 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzsdSWTMug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts