BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...

I'm in the process of picking out an M5, but I'm really confused about the different seat options.

In my search of old posts, someone said that comfort and multi-function seats are the same, but it's just that comfort is the one with perforated seats for the vented seat option.

I had comfort seats in my '02 745Li and for some reason, I could never get comfortable in those seats. The only M5 I've driven is an '06 with regular seats, and I liked those, but only drove the car for an hour.

My question is...if someone has sat in a 7 and m5, are the comfort seats the same? And can you get multi-function with vented? Or is that just a comfort seat?

BMW really needs to put some pictures of the different seats on their site...or maybe I just missed them?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Guys...

I'm in the process of picking out an M5, but I'm really confused about the different seat options.

In my search of old posts, someone said that comfort and multi-function seats are the same, but it's just that comfort is the one with perforated seats for the vented seat option.

I had comfort seats in my '02 745Li and for some reason, I could never get comfortable in those seats. The only M5 I've driven is an '06 with regular seats, and I liked those, but only drove the car for an hour.

My question is...if someone has sat in a 7 and m5, are the comfort seats the same? And can you get multi-function with vented? Or is that just a comfort seat?

BMW really needs to put some pictures of the different seats on their site...or maybe I just missed them?
I have a 06' 750i right now with comfort seats, the M5 I test drove had comfort seats which are exactly the same as my 7. My personal preference is there not very comfortable and don't fit the M5, I also test drove one with the 20-way sport seats and I felt more tucked in if you will with the sport seats. As for the vented question, you have to get the full leather seats and yes the comfort seats, BMWUSA does not show the correct seats when you select the perforated seat option but the brochure does.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 06' 750i right now with comfort seats, the M5 I test drove had comfort seats which are exactly the same as my 7. My personal preference is there not very comfortable and don't fit the M5, I also test drove one with the 20-way sport seats and I felt more tucked in if you will with the sport seats. As for the vented question, you have to get the full leather seats and yes the comfort seats, BMWUSA does not show the correct seats when you select the perforated seat option but the brochure does.

Syncmaster...

Thank you very much for the clarification! That was my hunch and with that said, I'm going to go with the multifunction. I like a seat with a lot of lateral support. The comfort seat looks really wide for an m5. :confused:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You get multifunction with vented. Or comfort is a stand alone option.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yes, because comfort does not have active function. Multifunction gives active bolster.

Also vented seats have softer leather.

So comfort and multifunction both have side bolster, but multifunction has active side bolsters. Confusing...I know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Evan...

Can someone post a picture of a Multifunction seat for me? Sorry...my dealer doesn't have any cars with multifunction.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Here you go. these are pics from my car. I warn you that I am camera stupid. They will look like they came from a disposable camera.

Also the leather in the vented seats is much, much softer than those without. For the 2008 cars, it feels like butter.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Evan!

The seat looks very similar to the comfort seats that come on other BMW models.

How do you like the vented seats? Do you feel they do a good job of cooling you off? I had a SL 55, and those vented seats were worthless.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
All vented seats are not going to work how one would think they work, however BMW's work the best.

They all just take the air from under the seats and blow it up thru the seats, what BMW has done is they provide a direct air vent under the drivers and passenger seats that provide air to the rear passengers feet, this air goes to the vents and cool the front seats the best.

They are very similar to comfort seats with a few exceptions. The leather is much softer, the side bolsters are active and the seats have vents. Other than that they both have the same adjustments.

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, because comfort does not have active function. Multifunction gives active bolster.

Also vented seats have softer leather.

So comfort and multifunction both have side bolster, but multifunction has active side bolsters. Confusing...I know.
Actually that is not true. I saw a 2008 M5 at the dealer today that has Comfort Seats (even stated on the window sticker). I sat inside and also saw the Active Bolsters button on the center console as they exist in cars with Multifunction seats. The bolsters are less pronounced and the whole seat looks a lot less contoured and much flatter. I assume the existence of that button means the bolsters are active.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terrence...you might be right. The car I ordered has comfort seats and my sales guy said it has active seat back adjustment...I'm not sure if its just the passive adjustment by way of tightening the seat back sides, or actually active going into a turn.

Anyone have comfort with active seat backs?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi Guys...

I had the same dilema when i was ordering my M5.....get the M-Active seats the comfort seats are the ones from the 7series, they dont belong in the M5......sports seats are better, and the comfort seats are the pnly seats that get the optional ventilated seats

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had the same dilema when i was ordering my M5.....get the M-Active seats the comfort seats are the ones from the 7series, they dont belong in the M5......sports seats are better, and the comfort seats are the pnly seats that get the optional ventilated seats
Well, I never had second thoughts on opting for the ventilated seats (Multi-Functional Seats) since the M5 is a huge car. I'd agree if they would be a choice on the M3 but I see no problem on the M5.

After all, it's a matter of personal preference but I would def. pick them again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Am I ever getting a headache.

I'm trying to get my beast ordered and the seats are driving me crazy. This thread has referred to seats as "Comfort", "Multi-function", "M-Active", "Sports" and "Vented". The BMWNA web site shows the first two of those.

About the only thing I know for sure is:
1. Active bolsters are part of the multi-function seats but not the comfort.
2. Perforated leather gets you ventilated seats for no additional cost (other than the upgrade to full leather) whether you want them ventilated or not, i.e. you can't order perforated leather without the seats being ventilated.

Is this correct?
What does the "comfort seat" have, that the "multi function" does not?

Someone please set me straight.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I sat in an M5 today with comfort seats, and it's basically the same thing as the multi function seats, but more supple leather. The seats are more comfy, but I prefer the sportier feel of the non-comfort (*** dumb as that sounds) seats.

I believe the active seats option is independant of which type of seat you choose.

The bolsters on the comfort seats are much less agressive and do not hold you nearly as tight as the multifunction seats.

Let me know if you need more explanation. BMW doesn't make it easy.

(Ps: I've also seen sport seats with two lines of stitching in the middle, and with three as well. Anyone know the difference between those two?)

·
Registered
232 Posts
My SA when I ordered my car informed me that Comfort Seats and Multi-function seats were the same "seat", the only difference was if you order perforated leather (vented), it's the comfort seats part number, but if you order full leather it's the multi-function part number, but both have active bolster controls and 20-way adjustment.

Functionally, he said they are identical, it's just how they differentiate full leather versus perforated leather.

My 08' has perforated + comfort, and it's the 20-way multi-function seat with active bolster controls.

On the bmw website (after you place your order), when you track your build, it doesn't list the seats as comfort by the way, it lists them as the multi-functional seats, perforated leather, and ventilated seat (all 3 are listed individually). So, it's just an ordering/part number detail.

-F

1 - 20 of 20 Posts