BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No word on this being available on the E60 so I presume it will be introduced as an option from MY2006 onwards!?

An explanation:

Cars receive a newly designed key that replaces the conventional blade-type key but with Comfort Access the key contains an ID Sensor that the car recognises from a short distance away. On recognition, the doors are unlocked automatically and the car can be started with one push of the starter button. The Comfort Access system also works in tandem with BMW’s familiar key memory system to ensure that the seating position, door mirrors, personalised air conditioning settings and radio reception are automatically adjusted to the current driver’s settings before they enter the car.

A bit like "Keyless Go" from Mercedes...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ashok,
My dealer warned me to not get it- they have had nothing but problems with it. If you give it time, it would be a great option to have. But for the early going, I'd steer clear.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Yeah i wouldnt get it, probably cost a lot as well?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
265 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Ashok,
My dealer warned me to not get it- they have had nothing but problems with it. If you give it time, it would be a great option to have. But for the early going, I'd steer clear.
You mean your MB dealer? My MB service advisor also talked me out of it. I'm sure they're from the same supplier. :sad3:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
e46m3 said:
You mean your MB dealer? My MB service advisor also talked me out of it. I'm sure they're from the same supplier. :sad3:
While my local MB dealer does not like this feature and does not recommend it as its been buggy for MB; No- my BMW dealer does not recommend it. It IS available for 2005 US 7 series vehicles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
While my local MB dealer does not like this feature and does not recommend it as its been buggy for MB; No- my BMW dealer does not recommend it. It IS available for 2005 US 7 series vehicles.
Thanks for the useful info. One option I like which is available on the 7 series (but not on the 5) is the auto trunk closer. The E-class has it I hope they'll bring it to the 5 in 2006.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
If you really want it- write a letter. They always appreciate feedback. Even if its negative, so long as you take a constructive tone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My mum has Keyless entry on her SL55 and it has had to go back to MB three times in a year for little niggles.......

I personally would stay away from keyless entry.

Oh yes i drove an RS6+ yesterday what GRIP...... Still prefer M5 though for tail happy motoring - Got an E55 for the day on Friday will keep you posted on how that feels....

Simon:byee55amg

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Had it on my SL55 and due to a couple of glitches and lack of trust I always took the card as well as the key with me. In later model MB included in the key which I assume meant they didnt have 100% trust in it either. A gimmick IMHO

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
No word on this being available on the E60 so I presume it will be introduced as an option from MY2006 onwards!?
Your presumption is only partly right, but at the moment I don't want to tell you more than:

Comfort access will be available for E60 within some time.

> My dealer warned me to not get it- they have had nothing but problems
> with it. If you give it time, it would be a great option to have. But for the
> early going, I'd steer clear.

That's right, especially with the new E90 3series, there is a big problem: Take your mobile phone and use it near to a E90 and nobody will be able to open the car anymore - as long as you speak on the phone... ;)
This frequency-problem will be fixed before delivery, no question...but at the moment it's funny anyway *lol*

Greetings

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Such a tease (as always!).

I was curious though, not planning on actual getting it. This falls into the unnecessary gimmick category.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Adam said:
Yeah i wouldnt get it, probably cost a lot as well?

all the best
adam
MB charges almost $2,000.00 CDN for this option. Seems like a lot of dough to eliminate the key. Could probably find more usable items on the option list to spend the money on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok, now, this will be a stupid comment/question to post on this board, but i am really curious if Renault have had such problems with their keyless system. They have it (standard, i think, at least with 2.0l+ engines) in their Laguna II models, which is a cheaper competitor to a the 3 series. This is probably not sold in the usa, but in europe it's a mass volume car and I haven't heard much problems with this system...

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
S55 Kompressor owner...

S55AMG said:
Keyless Go and the navigation system have both gone to crap in my 04 S55.
A few days ago I got locked out of the car in the freezing cold becasue I could not get in my car. Even worse once I got in, it would not even start. It took me half an hour to get in to the car, and this is the last straw, the car is going back. If anybody knows of similiar problems in the maybach please let me know before I make another bad decision.

P.S. I know the car is great I drove it for 9000 miles, but for the money this many problems,which have never been fixed, is just plain wrong.
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87079

·
Registered
383 Posts
António Duarte said:
Ok, now, this will be a stupid comment/question to post on this board, but i am really curious if Renault have had such problems with their keyless system. They have it (standard, i think, at least with 2.0l+ engines) in their Laguna II models, which is a cheaper competitor to a the 3 series. This is probably not sold in the usa, but in europe it's a mass volume car and I haven't heard much problems with this system...
The new Laguna's I've been in aren't true keyless go. They have a card and not key, a button on the card to unlock the cars and it is inserted in to a slot by a start button. The adverts don't show the card being inserted but it is in the slot when the guy presses the start button.

I belive the top end Nissan Micra's have a true keyless entry in teh sense we are talking about here. That is the first mass produced car I think to use a keyless entry system.

Sacha...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have it in my Touareg and it works ok. I even tried to lock myself out from the doors and trunk and it refuses to lock if you leave the keyfob in the car. My wife once lock us out(with the engine running) of a 528e back in 85 which I thought was impossibe so she is afraid of it. Occasionally it will sputter, for example if you open the door with the key in the ignition, close it, get out and try to lock it with the door button it will not lock, you must use the key remote. There are other times when it behaves badly and you must resort to the remote.

So I won't be ordering this $1,000 feature.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ashok, You have answered a question that I have recently posed.(just posted a thread) Thanks.
I am a little upset that a dealer can be so wrong!!! If you can't rely on them who can you rely on????:grrrr: This forum has given me so much information....Just wish I could order cars on here 2!!:cheers:

K.

Ashok Arora said:

An explanation:

Cars receive a newly designed key that replaces the conventional blade-type key but with Comfort Access the key contains an ID Sensor that the car recognises from a short distance away. On recognition, the doors are unlocked automatically and the car can be started with one push of the starter button. The Comfort Access system also works in tandem with BMW’s familiar key memory system to ensure that the seating position, door mirrors, personalised air conditioning settings and radio reception are automatically adjusted to the current driver’s settings before they enter the car.

A bit like "Keyless Go" from Mercedes...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts