BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I not seeing in the manuel....can I program my car to automatically lock when I walk away? Having to do the finger over the lock seems to be more effort than just reaching in my pocket and pressing the button....also....any way to roll the windows UP automatically?

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another question with comfort access... How to turn car off from radio mode?? Seems like I always have to start the car again then hit the start button 2x to turn off. pain.

not meant to hijack - more to complement.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Here's something I not seeing in the manuel....can I program my car to automatically lock when I walk away? Having to do the finger over the lock seems to be more effort than just reaching in my pocket and pressing the button....also....any way to roll the windows UP automatically?

Chris
Not that I'm aware of.........it would be nice.:dunno:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another question with comfort access... How to turn car off from radio mode?? Seems like I always have to start the car again then hit the start button 2x to turn off. pain.

not meant to hijack - more to complement.
I never turn off with the start button, just leave everything on until I am ready to walk away then touch handle to lock and turn everything off and hold finger on handle to roll up windows, close sunroof, etc. if open.

If I do use start button from radio ready, just don't put your foot on the brake and press start button twice. If your foot isn't on the brake the car will no start. If you just turned off the engine I think all you have to do is press the start button once more, but again, I just get out and touch the handle to lock, arm and turn everything off.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Unlike the 3 series, our warm-thumb-on-handle-to-lock feature lags a bit. Opening is fine. I usually just press the button to lock when walking away from the car... better than looking like a moron holding the handle for 2 seconds waiting for it to lock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I never turn off with the start button, just leave everything on until I am ready to walk away then touch handle to lock and turn everything off and hold finger on handle to roll up windows, close sunroof, etc. if open.

If I do use start button from radio ready, just don't put your foot on the brake and press start button twice. If your foot isn't on the brake the car will no start. If you just turned off the engine I think all you have to do is press the start button once more, but again, I just get out and touch the handle to lock, arm and turn everything off.
+1. With car on and engine running, I press the start button once to shut off the engine and then press the start button again to turn off the radio when I'm ready. OR, I just press and hold the start button with my foot on the brake to shut it all down.

It would be a VERY COOL feature to be able to walk away and have the car roll up the windows and lock itself! I am not aware of that capability with comfort access, though.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
It would be a VERY COOL feature to be able to walk away and have the car roll up the windows and lock itself! I am not aware of that capability with comfort access, though.
I doubt they'd ever allow that (here in the UK anyway), say you had you comfort access key in your pocket and walked into pay for some gas, meanwhile your little toddler (or dog) who is in the car sticks they're head out to shout (bark) something to you. If the windows were to roll up as you walked away, whilst there are supposed to be pressure sensors on the windows, if one were to fail it could be tragic. Having the windows roll up and sunroof close whilst holding down the lock button is safe and convenient enough for me however I would like an iDrive option for the car to lock itself when you walk away with the key.

PS - I've tested the auto-roll down when object detected on all my M5 windows and sunroof by simply sticking my hand in as the window goes up and it does work thankfully.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
you can turn off the car by touching the handle (locking doors)???? This is news to me....

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you push and hold the trunk button on the remote then the "bmw" button it will turn the car off. But only if it is in 1st or R with SMG. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you push and hold the trunk button on the remote then the "bmw" button it will turn the car off. But only if it is in 1st or R with SMG. :hihi:
how on earth did you figure this out???

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I want to know that with comfort access, why the remote is fo freakin big? Come on it should have been as small as can be.

·
Registered
538 Posts
you can turn off the car by touching the handle (locking doors)???? This is news to me....
You can turn off Radio Ready Mode not sure about the engine (doubt that).

I wish it would auto lock when you walk away...
You can set in idrive to have the car lock the doors after 15 minutes (i.e. incase you forget), but it does not set the alarm.

Unlike the 3 series, our warm-thumb-on-handle-to-lock feature lags a bit. Opening is fine. I usually just press the button to lock when walking away from the car... better than looking like a moron holding the handle for 2 seconds waiting for it to lock.
Not the case with mine. Mine works flawlessly. I do not use my thumb and do not know how I would based on where the sensors are on the handle (i.e. on the inside of the handle to unlock and the outside (basically the keyhole to lock or where the keyhole would be on all other handles).

I just use tip of my index finger to lock and just grab the handle naturally to unlock. Maybe it has improved for 2008's. Also heard tint could be a problem.

AND I never look like a moron when I am fingering my car :hihihi:. I like the way it responds to my touch.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like an anti carjacking feature that is not discussed in the manual, if this is true and not a joke.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
You can set in idrive to have the car lock the doors after 15 minutes (i.e. incase you forget), but it does not set the alarm.
I was under the impression the auto-lock timeout was for times when you remote unlocked your car and never entered the car by opening a door, then the car would re-lock after the set time period.

For example, if I have the key in my pocket and accidently press the unlock button but don't realise, 5 mins later the car will re-lock, I normally notice this when I'm washing my car and the car locks itself when the key is in the house. However, if I get out the car and forget to lock it the car does not autolock, I've come out to my car in the morning to find it still unlocked from the night before.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was under the impression the auto-lock timeout was for times when you remote unlocked your car and never entered the car by opening a door, then the car would re-lock after the set time period.

For example, if I have the key in my pocket and accidently press the unlock button but don't realise, 5 mins later the car will re-lock, I normally notice this when I'm washing my car and the car locks itself when the key is in the house. However, if I get out the car and forget to lock it the car does not autolock, I've come out to my car in the morning to find it still unlocked from the night before.
Hmm, that could be, I haven't really checked it out like that. I just set the option and have seen it locked when I did not lock it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts