BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my comfort access lately... For example I will go up to the car and yank the handle like 7 times and it still doesnt unlock. The only way I can get my car to unlock is to hit the unlock button, but isnt that the point of getting comfort access? I remember when I would go up to my car and just touch it and it worked. It has been getting worse and worse until now it hardly works anymore. So, I took it to my dealer, Santa Barbara BMW, and I have a list of stuff that is wrong with my car. The service manager is looking at me like, "are you serious", and I was totally serious. I have a cracking noise coming from my front suspension, this comfort access problem, increased emissions, service engine light is on, a new rattling coming from below and behind the gearshift (which happened to be bullets) and my trunk is retarded. The trunk thing was by far the weirdest thing; I pop the trunk with my key fob and it opens, but whenever I decide to close it my car unlocks and locks itself like 8 times and the trunk pops open again. After pushing the button just once... Anyways everything was fixed at the dealer except the comfort access and the cracking noise because they couldn't replicate it. They told me the reason the comfort access wasn't working was because WINDOW TINT MAKES COMFORT ACESS FUNCTION INCORRECTLY. Is that BS, or is it true? I figure since Ive seen a bunch of your guys' cars and the windows are tinted that you would have some insight for the problem. I need to know because it is driving me crazy, plus the service people always give me an attitude and a hard time because Im young.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own a window tinting company...

Some window film manufacturers produce metallized films that do interfere with FM reception and radar detector performance. This usually has more to do with the film that is installed on the back glass ,not the door glass. I cannot confirm that your issue lies with the tint. Check with the shop that installed the film to confirm exactly what film you have . Sounds stupid for tint companies to still be producing tint that may interfere with the gadgetry of new cars, but they still do.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
They told me the reason the comfort access wasn't working was because WINDOW TINT MAKES COMFORT ACESS FUNCTION INCORRECTLY. Is that BS, or is it true?
Roll down all the windows and see if the comfort access works better :lightbulb:

The battery in the key might be weak. I'm not sure, but the battery might recharge when placed in the ignition slot. Or just replace the battery.

Do both keys have the same symptoms?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was told the same thing when i got my windows tinted. That's why I went with Premier who uses the ceramic that doesn't do that.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I had exactly the same problem and have no window tint. I had the car in multiple times and they never were able to diagnose the problem. I finally got them to replace the main comfort access antenna, and now everything is as good (or better) than when it was new. If your problem is unrelated to your window position or you already have non-metalic tint, I would bring it in and ask for an antenna replacement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same issue with the trunk where every time I tried to close it, the trunk would open after a few seconds. The key was in my pocket so for some reason I couldn't close the trunk. I tried several times but the trunk kept opening. Lucky I was at home, because I left the trunk open for a few hours and came back to close it and it stayed shut. This has only happened once, so I have not bothered to do anything. What I would like to known is what is the average distance that people get using the key fobe to open or close the doors. For some reason I need to be almost on top of my car before the doors will unlock. Could I also be having the same issues with the antenna?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Use the search function. This has been discussed before. I bought my car new with a 35% tint all the way around. The comfort access almost didn't work at all. It actually took some convincing to prove to the SA that there was a malfunction (I had to line my car up with another M5 next to it for comparison of range). They told me that the problem was the tint and that they wouldn't look any further until it was removed. I ended up making a deal with the dealership that they roll the side windows down, remove the tint from the back window and test the car. If it works fine, then it was my fault and I pay for the labor of tint removal. If not, they find and fix the problem and reinstall the tint at no charge. Guess what...it wasn't the tint.

It's a long thread, but there is some good info here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73320

·
Registered
135 Posts
are you saying

That i should drop comfort access, on my new M5

SEEMS to be only problems with it...

and that i dont want..

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
How many keys do you have working with your car?

<2 = problems like yours

·
Registered
463 Posts
I smell BS!!! I have tint, no issues!!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Tint factor is somewhat BS. If you have ceramic tint, then it isn't causing the problem. If you have a metallic tint, then that could be an issue.

I got ceramic tint when my car was a couple weeks old, and no issue in range for comfort access. However, I have your same experience...the range kept getting worse and worse, to the point that I have to be right next to the car for the button to even work. It used to work from 20-30 feet away with no problem. Could be a v24 or v25 software thing. It's on my short list of nags the next time I go to the dealer.

As for the battery in the keyfog, with comfort access the keyfog does NOT recharge in the keyslot. It has a permanent battery that should last 3-5 years. I had them replace my battery because of the range issue, and it didn't help.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My issue was the same as yours - range got worse and worse until it would not recognize sometimes even inside the car. It would often take a while to open or lock the door when touching the handle.

I had it into the dealer multiple times and they could never diagnose the problem, especially since it was somewhat intermittant. I finally demanded that they skip the diagnosis and start replacing parts. The senior mechanic decided it was probably the main antenna unit (with amplifier, I think) was replaced and this fixed everything. My bet is that you have the same problem per the description.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Some window film manufacturers produce metallized films that do interfere with FM reception and radar detector performance. This usually has more to do with the film that is installed on the back glass ,not the door glass. I cannot confirm that your issue lies with the tint. Check with the shop that installed the film to confirm exactly what film you have . Sounds stupid for tint companies to still be producing tint that may interfere with the gadgetry of new cars, but they still do.

Good Information 4mula1. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, the range problem has been solved (I guess due to the "replaced battery") and the trunk issue is also solved, but I am still having problems with unlocking the damn thing without the key... Looks like Im headed back to the dealer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That i should drop comfort access, on my new M5

SEEMS to be only problems with it...

and that i dont want..

I think this is the first thread in 2 years that I have read of a problem with Comfort Access. I have had confort access on two BMW's now and I have pretty dark tint and have no problems. I would not own another BMW without it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No problems here. Tints and all. But I recall reading somewhere here that someone had an issue and they had to replace some sensor in the doors. Don't let them bs you around. Find the head tech and take care of him($) that'll solve your issues for now and the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts