BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well having seen several 6 series on the road,mymind was set on black,with silver or seal grey as an option.
HAving seen the picture on here of the black m6 im now not sure,and having used the configurater on Bmw .com I have to say im very dissapointed with the choice of colours available.The black isn't nice,the silvers are poor and there is no dark grey which looks quite good on the regular 6.
Are you able to pick regular 6 colours as well as the bespoke m6 colours ?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've seen a black 645 on the road, and it is stunning. The problem with black is it is a high-maintenance color. You will definitely be safe with black though. Silver is another safe color. Very low maintenance. Silver will show the lines of the car much more than black, which is a positive I think for the M6. A silver car will look slightly larger than a black car. Black has the advantage (on my 545 anyways) of blending the lines and making the car more compact looking.

Hope this helps - good luck!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolverine said:
I've seen a black 645 on the road, and it is stunning. The problem with black is it is a high-maintenance color. You will definitely be safe with black though. Silver is another safe color. Very low maintenance. Silver will show the lines of the car much more than black, which is a positive I think for the M6. A silver car will look slightly larger than a black car. Black has the advantage (on my 545 anyways) of blending the lines and making the car more compact looking.

Hope this helps - good luck!
just confirmed what i thought.I agree the black 645 looks stunning,yet look at the black pics on here,maybe its the quality of thepics,but the black looks less than stiunning.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A dark gray (darker than they currently offer) would look good, the currently offered colors on the 645 leave a lot to be desired. The titanium gray for instance... only looks good when it is perfectly clean, and in ideal lighting. If it is the least bit dirty, it looks like battleship gray....

·
Registered
267 Posts
vndkshn said:
A dark gray (darker than they currently offer) would look good, the currently offered colors on the 645 leave a lot to be desired. The titanium gray for instance... only looks good when it is perfectly clean, and in ideal lighting. If it is the least bit dirty, it looks like battleship gray....
I love my Silver Grey on the 645. As Wolverine mentioned, you do see all the nuances of the lines, bulges and I like that. I like the small variances in hues (slightly blueish) under certain lighting conditions and certainly hides the dirt well. The Sapphire Black I like only when absolutely sparkling clean and at a stand still. For some reason I personally have not liked the Black when in motion as I have seen from just about every angle. BTW, I am only speaking of the coupe (which right now is the only way the M6 is planned). When it comes to the Cabrio the Black gets better in my estimation. I did look at a Stratus Grey (darkest of those offered on current 645) before making my final choice. The hiding of those lines just did not do it for me, but It's all in the eye of the beholder when all is said and done. I just think ya just gotta see them in the metal, both show room and moving to get the true impact before making a decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
markf said:
Well having seen several 6 series on the road,mymind was set on black,with silver or seal grey as an option.
HAving seen the picture on here of the black m6 im now not sure,and having used the configurater on Bmw .com I have to say im very dissapointed with the choice of colours available.The black isn't nice,the silvers are poor and there is no dark grey which looks quite good on the regular 6.
Are you able to pick regular 6 colours as well as the bespoke m6 colours ?
Colour colour colour I've been thinking about this for months, not that I'm going to own a M6 anytime soon but just day dreaming if you know what I mean.ouich

So my findings are: starting off thinking S. Black is the best choice to In. Blue and Red and even A. White. IMO I still think DARK :cool: colour should fit best, that is to say having a colour that the car body would have a strong contrast with the Headlight and Rearlight should make the overall effect much sexier!! lovelove That's why I think even White should work, but unfortunately the draw back is making the car much BIGGER than it already should, the other thing I like A. White is the contrast with the black CF roof and the side mirrors. Silver, Grey and S. Bronz are the so called SAFETY color and nothing wrong with them but also nothing as exciting as the others. :nono:

So my order of preferences are:

1. S. Black w/ (silverstone, brown or red interior) (not to choose the beige and grey interior so that you would stand out from a Normal 6) kinggf
2. (If I have more cash) Individual color of Carbon Black or Onyx Blue (Caramel or Platinum interior)
3. Alpine White (black or red interior)
4. Intelagos Blue (black interior)
5. Red (black interior)

Hope the above would help from an Architect point of view.:flag:

My last word of advice is to remember this is a GT coupe and the proportion is LONG and Wide so the colour that could make it more visually compact looking would be ideal. Yes the Bangle lines and flaming surface bla bla bla would be hidden by the dark color.........but you need to know your priority.....lines are important on certain cars like my Z4 so I have T. Silver, but proportion should comes first to consider for the 6........ofcourse besides cleaning problem......so that's why the Individual Colors are the best option.......and BMW really knows how to do business. mmmmmm

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
As for colors, I think so long as the color is in the paint system they will not fight you too much. So you could pick a regular 6 color. Personally, I think a black variant on the 6 will look the best. Yep - its work- but its worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
cobradav said:
I love my Silver Grey on the 645.
I like the Silver Gray, it is only slightly lighter than the "old" Sterling Gray (which I have on one of my cars), and as you mention, it works well with the car. However, the Status Gray is too dull, it looks as if there is no metallic in the color, so it never really shines, and when it gets a bit dirty..... Two colors that I think would work well on the 6 is Sterling Gray and Titanium Gray. Sterling Gray is a bit darker than Silver Gray, and Titanium about equal to Status Gray, yet has more metallics in it, really increasing its shine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
vndkshn said:
I like the Silver Gray, it is only slightly lighter than the "old" Sterling Gray (which I have on one of my cars), and as you mention, it works well with the car. However, the Status Gray is too dull, it looks as if there is no metallic in the color, so it never really shines, and when it gets a bit dirty..... Two colors that I think would work well on the 6 is Sterling Gray and Titanium Gray. Sterling Gray is a bit darker than Silver Gray, and Titanium about equal to Status Gray, yet has more metallics in it, really increasing its shine.
Now that you bring it up, that's what was missing when I checked out the Stratus Grey, the sparkle. It did change hues, depending on the lighting source/direction, but the sparkle was not there. I matched mine with the Chateau and I could not be more pleased. Plus my wife approved although I did not let here have any input to the process - mine, mine, mine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm getting Mineral Silver on my M6. But the irony is this: Mineral Silver is a standard colour on the E63 6 series but an Individual colour for the M6. ouich This is starting to get real silly.

From darkest to lightest shades of grey & silver:-

Stratus Grey > Silver Grey > Titanium Silver ~ Silverstone II > Mineral Silver.

Mineral Silver is like a pale gold under shade but sparkles brilliantly under direct sunlight into more silver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts