BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advise from some seasoned 5 series folks!

I have placed an order for an E60 M5 but am driving myself crazy deciding colour combination.

I would appreciate honest opinions on Silver Gray exterior and Silverstone (grey/white) interior.

Also, if anyone has any similar combination I'd appreciate any photos

thanks

jonboy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome to the board:)

I've gone for SilverstoneII inside and out, not full leather.

Half of the press fleet was in this combo, except they had full leather, so there are pleanty of photos available.

But as with so much in life it's really down to what you want.

Sacha...

·
Registered
424 Posts
IMO silver is SO boring...

personally, i will be going with either imola red or aerographed black.

as for interior, black (hmmm maybe a bit to boring as well), indianapolis red (however have serious doubts about how it will look) or maybe cinnamon :haha2:

so lot depends whether i will decide to go individual or not...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The popular combinations (in/out) will be:

(1) Silver/Silver
(2) Silver/Black
(3) Interlagos/Black

These are 'safe' combinations, easy to resell and in the case of silver a low maintenance exterior.

Personally, I think they're boring. If you're going to get an M5 you should get something with more "character", be it a sporty persona or a more luxurious one. I had a look at the stock colours again and it's depressing :sad2:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jon,
My opinion is its a bit flat. Silver/grey is a semi-"battleship" color and a grey color interior only builds on that. But that's just my subjective take. If you like it, then go for it. Its not like you want to do hot pink/ bright orange where its easy to say its a mistake. Your combo is not a mistake, its just not for me. I think I like where Ashok is going with his color choices.

If it were me, Id go black exterior, some kind of light interior with aluminum trim. This is not a very creative combination, but its what I like. I don't like the trunk shut lines on the E60- from the side it looks like the trunk is not on right. The black would hide that + make it look sinister with those headlights. But black is hard to care for (no car washes, hand wash only- and it better be you or someone you trust).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Wouldn't you know it, I saw a silver grey 545 on the highway yesterday, and it looked pretty good. I was surprised that I liked it. But I still worry that in the long run it would look a little battleship, and I wouldn't advise doing a grey color interior with this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Wouldn't you know it, I saw a silver grey 545 on the highway yesterday, and it looked pretty good. I was surprised that I liked it. But I still worry that in the long run it would look a little battleship, and I wouldn't advise doing a grey color interior with this.
How about silver grey with cinnimon interior? I don't like the grey interiors because often BMW switches the black plastic surfaces to grey as well and it ends up washing out the whole look. With the colors (non black or grey) interiors you get a semi-two tone look that is really nice.

At least IMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that the silverstone interior colour is more white than grey so i was hoping that it wouldn't look too washed out-

MEnthusiast - glad you saw a silver gray today - i currently drive a 545 in this colour and was feeling a bit put out that you thought it was a battleship colour!

jonboy

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jon,
Please dont feel that way. Thats the risk of asking on color as its such a personal choice. I was also confusing the color with ti/grey which I had for a while on a 745. That is battleship. Silver grey is an interesting color. I guess I am just a little old fashioned that I prefer my silver as the more traditional brighter shade.

Zapper,
Its not what I would do, but I think it would go

·
Registered
816 Posts
jonboy said:
I would appreciate honest opinions on Silver Gray exterior and Silverstone (grey/white) interior.
A nice elegant combination you suggested, I think. But it is a relatively popular/common combination - the various shades of silver and grey. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think that combo will look fine - although a bit monochromatic if you get aluminum trim. I'm really struggling with colors too. I haven't seen a stock interior color combo I like. And I'm seriously thinking about the Silverstone exterior because:

1. It looks sharp - I think - I'd love to see it in person.
2. It goes with my existing BBS RS-GT 'Diamond Black' wheels.
3. It is probably the best 'dirt' color, and hides the paint chips.
4. My last two cars have been black, and I might be ready for something different.

I'm also thinking about Black:

1. IMO it looks the sharpest (when clean). It reduces the size of the car and makes it look more compact and coordinated, especially with tinting.
2. It looks great with the RS-GT's
3. It is the most godawful dirt color, and under the lights in my garage you can see even the tiniest swirl marks.

Well, I've got a year to agonize anyways.ouich Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts