Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Driver

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
These cars were made to be driven, and aren't worth big money anymore at 100k+ miles. I will continue to enjoy daily driving mine with no regrets! There's a popular YouTube channel with over 400k miles on their E39 M5, so just goes to show that these cars were also made to go the distance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Given $2-3k a year for maintenance, they are equal cost to a new Camry's depriciation & maintenance.
Not that I'd ever get one but a quick Google shows what Edmunds thinks:

Now, if you factor in time spent on other improvements, your own labor hours, web searches and forum bs.....these are really expensive:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Given $2-3k a year for maintenance, they are equal cost to a new Camry's depriciation & maintenance.
Not that I'd ever get one but a quick Google shows what Edmunds thinks:

Now, if you factor in time spent on other improvements, your own labor hours, web searches and forum bs.....these are really expensive:)
My experience in maintaining my M5 has not nearly approached $2-3k per year. In five years of ownership and 12k miles, my only expenses other than replacing a weeping power steering hose and repair of a funky rear-view mirror have all been normal wear items. Two new tires (rears, of course!), a new battery, air filters and a number of oil/filter changes are about all it has needed. While I think I have been lucky and there are probably some significant refresh items waiting down the road, this has been a great car and not especially expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My experience in maintaining my M5 has not nearly approached $2-3k per year. In five years of ownership and 12k miles, my only expenses other than replacing a weeping power steering hose and repair of a funky rear-view mirror have all been normal wear items. Two new tires (rears, of course!), a new battery, air filters and a number of oil/filter changes are about all it has needed. While I think I have been lucky and there are probably some significant refresh items waiting down the road, this has been a great car and not especially expensive to maintain.
It's most likely the 200 miles a month that has kept it cheap for you. How many miles are on your car?

I put on 12k miles the first year of ownership on one that had 138k when I bought it. Right after buying I did a bunch of deferred maintenance and spent a lot more than needed, but could have left it as it was and just driven too.
With maintenance up to date, not driving much, and some DIY, the number is obviously lower.
One clutch job, suspension refresh, wheel bearings, something random, and you're at $3-7k no problem.
My point was you can DD one of these for the same or less than really lame cars (Camry, most every Subaru/Honda/Acura/Nissan, etc.).

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's most likely the 200 miles a month that has kept it cheap for you. How many miles are on your car?

I put on 12k miles the first year of ownership on one that had 138k when I bought it. Right after buying I did a bunch of deferred maintenance and spent a lot more than needed, but could have left it as it was and just driven too.
With maintenance up to date, not driving much, and some DIY, the number is obviously lower.
One clutch job, suspension refresh, wheel bearings, something random, and you're at $3-7k no problem.
My point was you can DD one of these for the same or less than really lame cars (Camry, most every Subaru/Honda/Acura/Nissan, etc.).
Purchased mine with 74k miles, now at 86k. First owner owned it for 12 years, took excellent care of it. I try to do most of the basic maintenance myself, both as a means to save a few bucks but more because I am OCD about entrusting my cars to someone who might not treat them the way I would. Since I had 210k miles on the original clutch on my E39 528i when I sold it, I figure the clutch on my M5 is just getting broken in at 86k. Suspension refresh is the biggie lying in wait down the road, but for now everything feels pretty tight. I think I got lucky when I found this particular car, which had clearly been loved by its previous owner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Purchased mine with 74k miles, now at 86k. First owner owned it for 12 years, took excellent care of it. I try to do most of the basic maintenance myself, both as a means to save a few bucks but more because I am OCD about entrusting my cars to someone who might not treat them the way I would. Since I had 210k miles on the original clutch on my E39 528i when I sold it, I figure the clutch on my M5 is just getting broken in at 86k. Suspension refresh is the biggie lying in wait down the road, but for now everything feels pretty tight. I think I got lucky when I found this particular car, which had clearly been loved by its previous owner.
First owner of my car got a new clutch at 25k miles lol. Safe to say they rode the **** out it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
First owner of my car got a new clutch at 25k miles lol. Safe to say they rode the **** out it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not necessarily.

The pressure plate was designed to keep the clutch pedal at the same height while the disc wore down. It was "self-adjusting". Unfortunately as often as not, they did not adjust correctly. That would cause premature wear which looked like someone "riding the clutch". It got so bad that the dealers were stocking clutch kits for the car. BMW had an unwritten warranty that it would be replaced once during the 3 year warranty period, few questions asked (varied by dealer). After that you were on your own.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just sold my X5 and now my M is my daily driver. Picking up kids, going to work, kids sports, grocery shopping, even picked up two bags of concrete yesterday lol.
I don't enjoy using it for silly errands. Looking for a manual transission Cayenne, however they are difficult to find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s subjective right? Depending on your current wants and needs. While I enjoy the hell of driving mine - the rarity and condition give me a sense of pride knowing I’m the caretaker. Mileage comes into play as well. Wish I could have 3 - driver, collector, and beater.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Not necessarily.

The pressure plate was designed to keep the clutch pedal at the same height while the disc wore down. It was "self-adjusting". Unfortunately as often as not, they did not adjust correctly. That would cause premature wear which looked like someone "riding the clutch". It got so bad that the dealers were stocking clutch kits for the car. BMW had an unwritten warranty that it would be replaced once during the 3 year warranty period, few questions asked (varied by dealer). After that you were on your own.

Regards,
Jerry
The flip side is that the E39 M5 clutch thermal capacity is very low for an engine with this torque output. Couple that with many M5 drivers with former high power V8 experience with Detroit iron with their monster clutches driving the M5 for all they're worth = easily overheated clutches, discs glazed, etc. Board member ELEVENS comes to mind with his formula for getting into the 12s with the M5 (i.e. foot to the floor powershifting 2-3rd, etc). If you were used to a '70 SS454 and drove the M5 that way, the clutch was toast in short order. It's actually a very small clutch for the power output of the S62; hence all the effort over the years to create additional thermal capacity (i.e. 850 sized flywheels/discs, etc).

·
Registered
148 Posts
These cars are not meant to be driven like a muscle car as some have pointed out, they even put a warranty valve in the 540 to slow down the shift speed ability.
One of mine (car in track video thread) is on the original clutch w/118k miles and my other has just over 75k on the clutch.
You can drive them fast with or without toasting the clutch, just depends on technique.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine is a summer driver. I don’t drive it during winter months and try not to drive in the rain either.
It’s not a collector, but I did spend a good chunk of money getting it where I want it. I drive it every chance I get during the summer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
it took a lot to refresh the chassis and with upgrades feels great and held up well so far as a dd. bad mpg also means i am always looking for gas, which is a major pain. i wish they put rack and pinion in this car

21 - 35 of 35 Posts