BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In the cold weather we've been getting in the UK over the last few weeks I've noticed that when the temp drops below around 9C, the engine hesitates during acceleration after first starting. It sorts itself out after about 5 mins or so and the engine warms up. Is this normal? It's going for an oil service tomorrow so I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine does this until i get out of 2nd gear and onto the main road. Again only from cold and it only lasts 30 secs or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Expensive day...

Well, the beast has now done 62k miles - I've only done 5k of those, was purchased from a BMW dealer in May.

Took it in for an oil service and mentioned the cold start issue. Turns out it's never had the spark plugs out by the looks of things, and one of the ignition coils is apparently stuck to the cylinder head and needs replacing, plus the 10 plugs. The air filters also need changing.

On top of this, the front discs/pads need doing (I have been getting a bit of vibration on braking around 60/70ish).

Since I've bought this car, the clutch failed soon after (paid for by dealer), the rear discs/pads needed doing after a couple of k miles (paid for by dealer). Additionally I also had some wheel vibration after I bought it which was cured by me taking it to my local well respected tyre factor to rebalance.

So, if the dealer's good will on the clutch and rear brakes wasn't there the cost in maintenance since May would be £5700. The latest lot is going to be my cost. Have I been unlucky with this one? It's a brilliant motor but I'm starting to wonder if I should have got one privately rather than pay stealer prices for the, errmmm, "peace of mind'!

Anyway, perhaps it will go even better with the new plugs, filters and ig coil. Something to look forward to :)

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
No - it just sounds as if the previous owner waited on doing some maintenance items as he was selling and 60k is right around the point of a complete maintenance run through - all standard stuff.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Steve - Nope you made the right choice - I got mine the same time as yourself and have had the same costs to bear and like you I also had the warranty to cover my clutch. You would have been worse off with a private buy with the same issues especially without the warranty.

A car like this is never going to be cheap - best you can do is enjoy it (which is not that hard is it!).

I am amazed everytime I step into it and and have now started the mod route - RPI scoops+block-off/BMC Filter/Eibach Springs+Spacers/EvoSport pulley - which are what most people start off on - and they certainly help to enjoy it more.

Your service should improve the drive (it's not as if they will make it worse) which hopefully justifies the expense.

Kamal

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think you're probably right guys. managed to negotiate a discount off the parts at the main agent after a good indy quoted me less.

Turns out an ignition coil in one cylinder was completely rogered - they tried to say it wasn't a warranty item because the plugs hadn't been changed at the third service as recommended (prior to my ownership). Needless to say they changed their view on that after a "discussion" about the terms of the AUC sale and associated warranty.

It ended up costing me £1700, which for all the work described above, and the sheer pleasure of the beast is not as bad as I thought....

I look forward to a European road trip down to Innsbruck at some point in the near future, may take in some Autobahns. If anyone has a recommended route / roads down that way from a Northern France ferry terminal, would love to know.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I would think the dealer should flip the bill.....no extended maintenance???

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had my plugs/filters done over 1year ago, some difference after! Mine are getting done again next week! Getting discs and pads too so I feel your pain! Lol

My car can be quite hormonal when cold too, can't remember if it was any better after getting plugs done before, will keep you posted!!!:wroom:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts