BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I put the M into storage for winter with the battery tender. When I did this last year, I drove it once a month to get it to operating temps and to keep things lubricated. However, I found it extremely difficult to shift after it was sitting for a month or so for the first 10 minutes. It was getting stuck in 1st or 2nd and I had to literally force it out of gear to get it to the next. The tranny fluid was changed (redline fluids) at 35k, car now has 45k. Any ideas on how I can prevent this or a better way to approach the cold shifting issue?

Edit- It feels like all the fluid has settled at the bottom of the tranny and the gears aren't really lubricated upon initial shifting.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
How much of a "force" are we talking about here? On initial start-up when it's really cold out I will experience very heavy shifting, can certainly take some effort to pop the shifter out of 1st gear and then into 2nd. Generally for the first few miles/shifts I double clutch and never force it into the next gear. Usually have to release/engage the clutch a few times and play with the revs to get 2nd to seat easily on the first shift.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My reverse, 1st, and 2nd gears can be quite a pain when it is cold and the car is first started up. Lots of clutching and playing around loosens it up a bit. Wouldn't ever force it into gear if it didn't want to go though--I try and then I can tell it doesn't want to go and then I play with the clutch (double clutch,etc), and try again. I don't think my Short Shift helps...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm relieved to hear it isnt something specific to my car. Ill try double clutching to see if that helps. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
988 Posts
How cold does it get when you store it? Is it climate controlled? If it is really cold and you have hydro available, throw a trouble light under the tranny for a day before you take it out. That amount of heat may help..S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts