BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During winters when the engine's cold, it takes a couple of crankshaft revs to start up, causing the display to go BONG - "Check Control".
The engine still starts and there's no problem. It's as if the DME times how long it takes the engine to fire up and displays a message if it takes too long. It never does it on a warm engine.

Is this a known thing? It really annoys me that it re-displays the message when you park and turn off the ignition.

Erik
:cheers:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Erik,

This happens when the battery is not fully charged, so it may be your battery at fault.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Would this case of the battery also be when you start and stop from being warm and cold etc. As I get this everytime with my car, I think its down to the fact I don't use her everyday!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BURTON said:
Would this case of the battery also be when you start and stop from being warm and cold etc. As I get this everytime with my car, I think its down to the fact I don't use her everyday!
It's my everyday car and I drive it at least twice a day. In my case it's really only when the engine is stone cold. The battery sounds plausible. If it's weak indeed, then it's possible for the voltage to drop below a threshold level when the engine takes longer to fire up.

I think I'll have it checked next weekend. It's time for a service anyway.

:cheers:
Erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts