BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After foooing around with the IATS sensor and watching intake temp with the probe in all kinds of locations; in the Dinan CF intake tube, the opened up foglight duct, the inside of the void where the filter is, and most recently berhind the bumper where the stock intakes draw from...I really don't see that the system really does anything in terms of getting cooler air...they all heat up at about the same rate once the car stops and all cool down at about the same rate when the car moves...Looks pretty but I think the impracticality of the system (take the bumper off to change filters?) isn't really made up for by the imperceptible performance gains...

Seeing as i am going to try to get 200k out of this thing, and that the cleanliness of the air is VERY important in terms of engine wear, I am leery of the efficiency of the A/M vs stock filters...Tempted to go back to stock.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Have the same opinion. On the normal M5 you change air-filters in a few seconds. With the Dinans and the like you need nearly a day and then you tend to skip it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nowacks option was to keep the stock filter location but open the ducting from the front of the car to the air filter.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
This has been a "hot" debate for many years and many have made fantastic claims abt hp gains. I have the Gruppe Ms. They look very nice, are rather easy to maintain but I don't think they give any increase in hps. Some even say that's the opposite...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
There should not be a need to take the bumper off to replace the air filters....
Taking away the lower wheel arch plastic that attaches to the bumper should be enough...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Takes about 5 minutes per side to remove the plastic bumper guards...without lifting car:biggrin:

Easier than removing the bumper,at least:grinyes:
Just make sure you have plenty of plastic rivets on hand to replace the ones you tear while removing the fender liners.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The lower front quarter that attaches to the bumper is only bolts....;)
Well, that's convenient.

I was speaking from my experience in accessing the windscreen washer tank behind the liner at the rear of the RH wheel well. Man, what a pain in the *** that was.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No matter what it is one hell of a lot bigger pain than simply unsnapping a few hooks and lifting the old filters out...The dinan CF pipes, wrinkle finish MAF tubes, and strut bar are under hood eye candy in reality...About three grand worth of stuff that makes your friends go "Ooooo" when you open the hood...Money better spent on well, anything really...BUT I bet I can put all this crap on the board and ge enough for my new clutch!

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
No matter what it is one hell of a lot bigger pain than simply unsnapping a few hooks and lifting the old filters out...The dinan CF pipes, wrinkle finish MAF tubes, and strut bar are under hood eye candy in reality...About three grand worth of stuff that makes your friends go "Ooooo" when you open the hood...Money better spent on well, anything really...BUT I bet I can put all this crap on the board and ge enough for my new clutch!
Seriously....how often do you expect to clean the filters? I've had mine on for 25k miles and they are spotless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts