BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, not taking the screen into account, the surface area on the small side of the Dinan MAF is 22% larger in cross sectional area alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I looked into this LONG and HARD at one point. I studied the designs of many aftermarket CAI's for the E39 M5. The end result was that by altering the existing air intake duct work, you were essentially ruining the "ram air" effect that the OE setup makes. Dinan setup requires reloaction of the SAP, puts cones way down low where water can wet them, and again, removes that beautifully crafted tubing that yanks air from the kidneys and shoves it into the air box.

I ultimately decided it was not worth it, and agreed it would be worse off than the stock setup, and that was not something I wanted to do. So I went for the "OE+" setup, using some silicone intake tubes that are a slightly larger diameter than stock, but super smooth on the inside all the way through, coupled with a pair of dry AFE filters for the stock airboxes. Car definitely breaths a bit better, you can feel it, no distinctly noticeable sound difference, and in the end, it really could just be my butt dyno that says what I did was worth it. Far cheaper than a CAI too, I think my tubes were around $200 and maybe $40 for the filter pair?

Pic:
View attachment 940504
View attachment 940505
View attachment 940506

View attachment 940507

Got the idea from this site, who had some good data..
Exact true! I agree with you in all the details. Smooth designed tubing to the plenum with sporty filters make much more value like a costy CAI that is no way better as this setup. Only you will be lighter a few of hundreds dollars, heh 😋

21 - 24 of 24 Posts