BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Im a new member and a proud new owner of a 2008 e60... Just purchased a little over a month ago. Went to the SEMA show got the itch and bought an M5, days later...LOL!

Anyways, I just ordered 20 inch 3 piece forged wheels. Going to take 6-8 weeks to build so I'm just starting to research suspension. Weighing my options between springs and coilovers. The local shop I go to won't even allow me to bring up springs in conversation. The guy that works at the shop swears up an down about KW coilovers.

My first issue was that i hear it gets rid of your EDC control in the vehicle. I hear from another shop there is a way to keep your EDC function... Does anyone have KW coilover's or know the correct answer to this?

Now the other issue that i don't think I can live with is that I hear the KW coilover's also effect the adaptive seat option. Any advice or help on suspension would be much appreciative.

I've seen many threads on springs and different brands to go with. Haven't seen much discussion on coilover's. I'd like to go the KW route but concerned with losing some great factory options.

Thanks for all the replies...

·
Registered
932 Posts
You will lose EDC functionality.

If you want to lower and keep EDC i recommend Eibach, since they have similar spring rates however you will have added wear on your shocks.

I have KWv3's and my seats still have the adaptive side bolster and work. Pretty sure they function by the wheel angle sensor.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will lose EDC functionality.

If you want to lower and keep EDC i recommend Eibach, since they have similar spring rates however you will have added wear on your shocks.

I have KWv3's and my seats still have the adaptive side bolster and work. Pretty sure they function by the wheel angle sensor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks... Definitely helps. I can live without the EDC if the look gets the WOW factor... Do you happen to have a pic of your ride?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KW v3s are top nothing can beat it for the price!!!
Thanks... however I'm looking for details that helps an educated purchase decision. I'm not too concerned with the price. I'm more concerned with losing factory options, the looks of the drop on the KW coilover's and the ride quality.... M5lover85 do you have any details that back up your quote?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
hey

hey yeah i understand about loosing EDC but honest not really a big deal as you can tone in the ride quality with the dampening and the drop is really the key, you can make it how you want it!! Yeah to back up my price quote. lol hmmm just sold mine as I am putting car to stock. You dont want to know how much i sold em for. ONE LUCKY MEMBER ON HERE GOT VERY LUCKY!!! I shipped couple days ago, maybe if hes not happy you can take em, but i doubt that will be the case. PRice ok ill tell you, 1500.00 lol lucky lucky

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Dinan springs close the front wheel gap and only stiffens the ride a bit and are also an option if you want to keep the EDC. I find it one of the better features of the M5 and would not want to get rid of it. If you think about it, you're trading 3 ride settings and a lot of versatility/convenience by getting coil-overs. I have the TCK SA setup on my MCoupe and on some roads/days, it makes me want to get out and dial the stiffness down a bit on the shocks...but that would require pulling over, getting out, opening the hood, and then dialing it in....sure that would be fun!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I had H&R springs. They were alright, liked that I had the EDC and that the car was lower.
Then I got the KW V3's, although the EDC is lost I still find the ride extremely comfortable while improving the aesthetic (in my opinion) of my car. I was sick of understeer so having the Kw's adjusted to perfection means I have a little oversteer (my preference). I highly recommend gettting them.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Hmmmm... guess I'm gonna go for KW's then! Damn you track, damn you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not typically one to jump on the KW bandwagon but;

Pay $200 more, you get EDC.

LIFETIME warranty.

I drive a buddies M6 on V3s a good amount, amazing ride quality and rigidity.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can someone please confirm these claims? I've been told by a 3rd party installer that KWs have the option to keep factory EDC settings.

Ben
Solved the problem... I installed the KW's a few weeks ago. You have to purchase EDC delete from KW. Another 400.00 or so and you won't have the EDC light malfunction. Obviously you won't have the EDC option anymore but with the KW's you have so much more to gain.

As far as the adaptive seats... Mine still work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts