BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
for those of you have done this, and or had it done for you... would you recommend this as a DIY or would you say go to the dealer/shop?
I think it's a DIY, but I have a lift and tons of tools!
It's really not that hard, you just need to be careful of spring tensions, if you undo a spring/shock assembly under tension, it can cause quite the bad day. In that case you would need a spring compressor. The factory assembly, if I remember correctly, will be under a fair amount. You can remove it as an assembly by taking off the supports to the wheel/hub assembly and the three bolts at the top of the strut tower.
I don't remember if the rears were under too much pressure, but you will have to take out the rear deck to get to the fasteners on top.
How handy are you, how's your tool box, and any buddies that own a garage or have a spring compressor?

·
Registered
868 Posts
This, and most all, operations on the car require at least a 3/8" torque wrench. If you don't already own one, this may be over your head!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Did mine w/o having a lift. A few jack stands and some time is all it took. Hardest part is getting the nuts on the top of the strut of the rears loose since you have to take apart your interior.

·
Registered
626 Posts
a true coilover wont require a spring compressor.
What he said.

If you're going from stock to complete coil-overs like Ground Control, you don't need a spring compressor. You just take the oem assemblies out and set them aside intact. There's no need to compress them to remove them and no need to take them apart.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just wanted to mention the spring tensions in case you did decide to take them apart to sell or whatever.
You may need wheel spacers, something to think about, I'm sure others will chime in on that. I had the Dinan JRZ's and they did not require any.

I think it's a DIY, but I have a lift and tons of tools!
It's really not that hard, you just need to be careful of spring tensions, if you undo a spring/shock assembly under tension, it can cause quite the bad day. In that case you would need a spring compressor. The factory assembly, if I remember correctly, will be under a fair amount. You can remove it as an assembly by taking off the supports to the wheel/hub assembly and the three bolts at the top of the strut tower.
I don't remember if the rears were under too much pressure, but you will have to take out the rear deck to get to the fasteners on top.
How handy are you, how's your tool box, and any buddies that own a garage or have a spring compressor?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It is a job that takes some time. Especially with the fact the rear parcel shelf needs to come out to gain access to the rear strut nuts. I beleive BMW qoutes 8 hours on an install. But it is somethign that you can do on your own if you have apitence and the proper tools. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What he said.

If you're going from stock to complete coil-overs like Ground Control, you don't need a spring compressor. You just take the oem assemblies out and set them aside intact. There's no need to compress them to remove them and no need to take them apart.

going from stock/oem suspension to bilstein pss9. side note, is there a diy/tech write up on this?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I recently did this with the help of another board member that I bought the parts from.

The fronts were done at a shop because I also bought a dinan front sway, which is a huge pain to install, so he just threw the coilovers on while he was under there (they are that easy)

Then the rears were almost secondary becasue we were doing the rear end at the same time, again the coilovers were that easy.

The rear parcel shelf removal is probably the biggest pain. There is one large bolt on the bottom of the rear struts that can be a pain to break lose.

Bob

·
Registered
626 Posts
i think i will tackle this job myself, it doesnt look any different from any other coil over install... ive done these on vw/audi, so hopefully its not that much more difficult.
I've had the parcel shelf out of mine three times now and it's a 20-minute job. If you've never done it figure twice that. Somewhere on this board there's a set of three DIY's that I wrote about it - do a search.

The rears are tedious but not hard, the fronts are less tedious and still not hard. Take your time step by step and it's easily done by yourself over a weekend.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
for those of you have done this, and or had it done for you... would you recommend this as a DIY or would you say go to the dealer/shop?
If you has done suspension work before , I would say this is definitely a DIY.
Nothing complicated at all. It just takes time thats all.

And this is how long it tooks for me post#13 without any lift/hoist

Some other my PSS9 related thread
thread 1

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 20 of 61 Posts