BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2007 BMW M6. The version of the software in the original post is very old. Should I still be using it, or are there more recent versions that I should be using instead?

Is the original software still available for download?

I have seen lots of references to BMW Standard Tools with references to 2.10, 2.11 and 2.12. It appears BMW releases a new version each year and the version number after the period refers to the year they were released. I believe the BMW Standard Tools contain the NCSExpert utility. Can someone please help me understand the software levels and which one(s) I need to use?

Ideally, I would love the install NCSExpert in English.

Thanks a lot.
I asked these questions in the coding thread, but got no answers. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I asked these questions in the coding thread, but got no answers. Can anyone help me?
There are newer versions but BMW does not release them to the public. What I understand, the software is very hard to find. If you have somethins that works, I would stick with it. If not then try to find some in your local area that can help. If there is specific feature coding you need there are people that can do remote coding also.

Reactions: GaretJax

·
8,369 Posts
There are different types of BMW software. Operating software, GUI software, ECU software, transmission software, etc.
The only software I am familiar myself with is the ability for us to recode to enable and disable features and to disable fault reporting of the bulbs.

Dealership upgrades complete BMW software from time to time and they are the only ones that knows the versions & latest versions to the best of my knowledge.
They wont upgrade yours for free if you are out of warranty unless you have a very good working relationship with your SA or you had an issue with your car and they determined that your version of the software is outdated.

But it wont hurt to call them to ask the same question and see what answers you got.
My 2006 M6 was under warranty when it went to a limp home mode. I took it to the dealer and they said my sottware is outdated so they updated it and it fixed the problem.

My 2009 M6 was also under warranty and when I took it in for service I asked to check if I have the latest version.
It was determined there was a newer version and since my car was under warranty they updated full new software upload for free.

A full software update takes about 4 - 8 hours that's why they wont do it for free.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is so much I don't know. The more I read, the more confused I get.

If all I want to do is coding for things like:
1) To get more data on my HUD
2) To enable the key FOBs to raise and lower the windows

Does that mean all I need is NCS Expert? The BMW Standard Tools come with a lot of other software, but I am having trouble understanding what it is all used to do.

Do the software levels in my car affect the versions of NCS Expert or Standard tools I should be using?

I am caught in analysis paralysis since I don't want to hose up my car by doing the wrong thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts