BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After countless hours of reading, experimentation, chats with other experts from various forums, I finally have succeeded in doing what the guys over at the E60 and E90 forums have done. Code our cars with options that exist in various modules.

If you haven't ventured into this topic, here is a short version of what we will now be able to do at home.
- Communicate with individual modules in the E63-64
- Change parameters to enable or disable things like; the Legal Disclaimer start up screen; Auto folding and unfolding outside mirrors; disable that annoying door open with key in ignition 'gong'; DVD in motion (2008+), Seat belt chime; bulb testing upon startup and/or during operation; enabling a digital speed icon as an added option when you press the bc button on the left stalk; these are just a few

I am not a computer code writer. I know OHM's law, use common sense, and read a lot to get this working. Getting this to work was the challenge I wanted to accomplish. This may not be for everyone and there is some risk in killing a module I suspect. But if you can read instructions, and have a basic knowledge of a PC, you can do this.

The short version of what took so long is that the E63-64 writes the code changes slightly different than other models. In the end, the compilation of information required minor changes in a program known as NCS Expert. It also took me some time to figure out how to get the cable below to communicate with the car using USB and not a serial adaptor, which many use on the other boards.

So if this wets your appetite, or any other bodily function, I will be doing a DYI in minute detail during the next week or so. It's actually very simple, once you begin to understand it, but it is a slightly different procedure than has been written for other models.

Here is a taste and some pictures of what I did today until I got distracted by a rustling noise in my garage. Thought it was the hot water heater expanding and contracting; until a saw Ben and his wife. A couple of very large rats. Seems the usual sunny L.A. weather (which has been rain) do not agree with rodents, so indoors they come. So I got diverted with a trip to Home Depot for some traps and a calming session with the wife. I kept thinking about an older thread where another member had them chewing hoses and cardboard undercarriage parts on his M.

Anyway, back to the project. While I deal with my rodent friends, and until I get to a thorough DYI written, including links where to d/l the sw and drivers you will need, here are some pictures of what I accomplished today.

. A K+DCAN USB OBDI connector, which you will need and are available from many sources. (I have the drivers that allow it to operate with the USB cable vs others who used a serial adaptor). I will add a link where I got mine.
. A picture of my new boot up screen without the legal disclaimer (after the usual BMW screen appears) it also starts at the last function it was in when the car was turned off
. A picture of the additional option of digital speed (just for fun) when pushing the bc button on the left stalk. It now changes from time>miles til empty>oil level>digital speed>etc.
. Turn signal indicators on the HUD display (when not in M Mode)

I have a list of other changes I'm going to make including auto folding outside mirrors; turn signal frequency when pushing turn signals up or down in the momentary mode; cold and hot bulb check elimination (I have LED's everywhere and where I don't have resistors, they blink for a few seconds. Drives me crazy, Side markers as an example); HUD entertainment display option; Seat belt 'gong' disablement. Thats just a taste. Once I gain more confidence in German to English, I can see there are many more options I will change.

I read all the modules and backed them on on a thumb drive, in case I want to return to stock. I checked for errors with my BT (Bavarian Technic) cable and sw. No errors with these changes, so they would be undetectable by the dealer, although they would be over written, if a SW upgrade were performed by the dealer. By the way, the BT cable will not work for this. It's wired differently than the cable in the picture. Even the professional version. Two different uses.

So just a taste, and more to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
After countless hours of reading, experimentation, chats with other experts from various forums, I finally have succeeded in doing what the guys over at the E60 and E90 forums have done. Code our cars with options that exist in various modules.

If you haven't ventured into this topic, here is a short version of what we will now be able to do at home.
- Communicate with individual modules in the E63-64
- Change parameters to enable or disable things like; the Legal Disclaimer start up screen; Auto folding and unfolding outside mirrors; disable that annoying door open with key in ignition 'gong'; DVD in motion (2008+), Seat belt chime; bulb testing upon startup and/or during operation; enabling a digital speed icon as an added option when you press the bc button on the left stalk; these are just a few

I am not a computer code writer. I know OHM's law, use common sense, and read a lot to get this working. Getting this to work was the challenge I wanted to accomplish. This may not be for everyone and there is some risk in killing a module I suspect. But if you can read instructions, and have a basic knowledge of a PC, you can do this.

The short version of what took so long is that the E63-64 writes the code changes slightly different than other models. In the end, the compilation of information required minor changes in a program known as NCS Expert. It also took me some time to figure out how to get the cable below to communicate with the car using USB and not a serial adaptor, which many use on the other boards.

So if this wets your appetite, or any other bodily function, I will be doing a DYI in minute detail during the next week or so. It's actually very simple, once you begin to understand it, but it is a slightly different procedure than has been written for other models.

Here is a taste and some pictures of what I did today until I got distracted by a rustling noise in my garage. Thought it was the hot water heater expanding and contracting; until a saw Ben and his wife. A couple of very large rats. Seems the usual sunny L.A. weather (which has been rain) do not agree with rodents, so indoors they come. So I got diverted with a trip to Home Depot for some traps and a calming session with the wife. I kept thinking about an older thread where another member had them chewing hoses and cardboard undercarriage parts on his M.

Anyway, back to the project. While I deal with my rodent friends, and until I get to a thorough DYI written, including links where to d/l the sw and drivers you will need, here are some pictures of what I accomplished today.

. A K+DCAN USB OBDI connector, which you will need and are available from many sources. (I have the drivers that allow it to operate with the USB cable vs others who used a serial adaptor). I will add a link where I got mine.
. A picture of my new boot up screen without the legal disclaimer (after the usual BMW screen appears) it also starts at the last function it was in when the car was turned off
. A picture of the additional option of digital speed (just for fun) when pushing the bc button on the left stalk. It now changes from time>miles til empty>oil level>digital speed>etc.
. Turn signal indicators on the HUD display (when not in M Mode)

I have a list of other changes I'm going to make including auto folding outside mirrors; turn signal frequency when pushing turn signals up or down in the momentary mode; cold and hot bulb check elimination (I have LED's everywhere and where I don't have resistors, they blink for a few seconds. Drives me crazy, Side markers as an example); HUD entertainment display option; Seat belt 'gong' disablement. Thats just a taste. Once I gain more confidence in German to English, I can see there are many more options I will change.

I read all the modules and backed them on on a thumb drive, in case I want to return to stock. I checked for errors with my BT (Bavarian Technic) cable and sw. No errors with these changes, so they would be undetectable by the dealer, although they would be over written, if a SW upgrade were performed by the dealer. By the way, the BT cable will not work for this. It's wired differently than the cable in the picture. Even the professional version. Two different uses.

So just a taste, and more to come...
id love to get rid of that annoying seatbelt chime! drives me nuts!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I look forward to seeing the DIY!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Great work! Can't wait to see the DIY. The seatbelt gong for the passengers side when my briefcase is on the front seat makes me crazy! grrrrrrr

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can't wait to see some of the details of the coding. I was going to have my buddy do it to my car a few weeks back, but then people on here warned me of the difference between our cars and the rest, so I was little hesitant because he had never done the M6...even though he is a coder.

Glad you got it to work!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checking in with some updates.

I'm getting the hang of this. There is really very little damage you can do by experimenting with changes from 'aktiv' to 'nicht_aktiv', and the reverse. The trouble I'm having is trying to understand German abbreviations that don't easily translate.

I tried 10-15 different changes today. There are definitely differences where commands are stored on our modules vs. the E60 (M5). The good news is, you can always write the OEM code (known as a xxxx.man file), back to the vehicle and return it to its original state.

So far I've saved the following to the car:
- Legal Disclaimer is gone
- Screen immediately goes to Entertainment every time the car starts. You can choose any screen option to default to
- HUD has the turn signal indicators when not in M Mode. Emergency flashers as well
- There is an option to enable 'Entertainment' in the HUD module, but thus far I cant see any entertainment visual in the HUD in any mode. Wondering if Euro models have this option?
- bc digital speed display is now an added option as shown in post #1
- eliminated 'gong' when key is in ignition and door is open
- almost totally eliminated ''seat belt gong'. It gongs twice and then stops. I know there is an option to eliminate it totally. It's the abbreviated German thats throwing me. But I'll find it
- I disabled the need to start the car with your foot on the brake. It prevented a shutdown by holding the on/off button with one touch, so I reverted back to the original state on that option
- I'm having some difficulty getting the outside mirrors to auto fold. I think it may be my aftermarket SmartTOP module interfering with the door module that controls the mirrors. Researched a lot on this one. Our method is different than the M5, so be careful if you attempt to have someone do that for you.
- There are so many options for bulb cold-hot checking, I don't know where to begin.
- There's a corner (light) delete option; ability to flash your fogs (if you have them) along with, or instead of high beams; Eject key fob when engine is turned off; A headlight time of day option, in addition to the sensor for auto headlights, that controls when the headlights are on and off. I always wondered why my headlights stayed on later in the morning even on a sunny day, and why they came on earlier in the late afternoon than other cars on the road. There's many others. Some do not do anything when you activate them. But the experimentation is fun.

I keep checking for faults with my PEAKE and BT tool. Nothing; which is good.

I'm still experimenting, which is taking me away from writing the DYI....but I will. There is a master file that contains all the factory settings that's used if a module fails, allowing the master file to write the proper code to a specific module and vehicle model. That's how BMW can use a single part number for multiple models. Fascinating stuff

Stay tuned

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is fantastic! Would a ham handed amateur whose VCR was still flashing midnight when it was unplugged for the final time be able to do this?

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Fantastic work Alan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew if there was someone on this board that could do it - its you!

THANK YOU!

I want the mirrors to auto fold up once we lock the doors.
I want the feature for all the windows to roll up once we also lock the doors.
I want more than 3 blinks upon activating turn signals.
And of course the stupid gong when seatbelts are off or doors left open with key in ignition.

And best part - disable all the bulb fault reporting feature since most of my bulbs are now LED's.

I will buy you lunch or dinner next time I travel to LA area.
You come to Seattle and I will drive you around town, I will be your personal tour guide.

Very anxious to see the parts list and DIY write up!

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...I got distracted by a rustling noise in my garage. Thought it was the hot water heater expanding and contracting; until a saw Ben and his wife. A couple of very large rats. Seems the usual sunny L.A. weather (which has been rain) do not agree with rodents, so indoors they come. So I got diverted with a trip to Home Depot for some traps and a calming session with the wife. I kept thinking about an older thread where another member had them chewing hoses and cardboard undercarriage parts on his M.
Take the rat problem very seriously.
A rat ripped up my underhood insulation to make a nest. I had been working on the car the previous evening, and discovered this damage the next morning. The rat was in the pile of foam when I opened the hood :eek:h:
One rat can make a big mess very quickly :nono:

I declared war on the rats and attacked with poison and traps. (poison is not a good idea if the rats might die inside your house)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clyde, those pictures were unbelievable. I forgot it was you that had that rodent rampage. The good news is, about an hour ago the wife and I hear 'SNAP"!. Got that sucker with peanut butter as bait. He or she dragged the trap so deep in a part of the garage stacked with boxes, it took the better part of an hour to get that mess out of there. Resilient little creature. I only hope he was a loaner. I'm leaving the other traps set a few days to make sure. What a relief. My local Starbucks won't be happy in the morning when they look in their trash bin.

Jim, I still have an 8-Track stuck in the player I cant get out. So if I can do this coding, so can you

And Dan. Dinner in Seattle, LA, or anywhere else, sounds great! I'll settle for a cold one, or two.

-------------

I've started writing the DYI and am going to concentrate on two areas.
- How and where to get the cable. How to get it connected and talking to the car with the right driver using the USB cable and not a serial converter
- How to read and save modules

Then we can get to the coding part

This is an extract of the module called the CAPPL. It's the middle of the entire string of commands. It contains the legal disclaimer instructions, amongst other things. It's in a file format known as .TRC. The modules are read in this format. When you do a save as, you save it in a file format called .MAN Thats the starting tutorial. I'll be more specific in the DYI

....paste....
AEREA_CODE_DVD
wert_01
DWS
aktiv
BMW_N_DEALER
nicht_aktiv
TRF
nicht_aktiv
KANA_WRITER
nicht_aktiv
SMS
nicht_aktiv
WEATHERBAND
aktiv
LEGAL_DISCL
nicht_aktiv This is what you change. It was 'aktiv' prior. Then you write the saved file back to the CAPPL module.
REV_INPUT
aktiv
UNIT_FEET
aktiv
ACOUSTIC
aktiv
TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT
grad_f
ZEIT_EINHEIT
12_stunden
DATUM_EINHEIT
mm_tt_jj
NAVIGATION
aktiv
BACKDOOR
nicht_aktiv
STANDHEIZUNG
nicht_aktiv
DIGITAL_AUDIO_SOURCE
cd-player
PHONE_VERSION
most-phone1-1mic
VA_CORNERINGLIGHT
nicht_aktiv
VA_FB
nicht_aktiv
VA_FB_COMMUNICATION
nicht_aktiv
VA_FB_ENTERTAINMENT
aktiv This is where I set the default to 'aktiv', from nicht aktiv, so each time the car starts, the screen starts in the entertainment mode. You can see the other options
VA_FB_NAVIGATION
nicht_aktiv
VA_FM_AM_TOGGLE
nicht_aktiv
VA_FOND_CLIMATE
nicht_aktiv
VA_LONGDISTANCELIGHT
nicht_aktiv
VA_MANUAL_SHIFT
nicht_aktiv
VA_MODE_TOGGLE
nicht_aktiv
.....etc

This is an example of the format to get you familiar with what these files look like. There are approximately 20 or so modules. Some do not contain any values worth changing. There are 5-6 that seem to have the bulk of info we would ordinarily want changes made to.

I'll have the first draft ready no later than tomorrow evening so those interested can get the cable ordered ans the sw known as NCS Expert downloaded and configured.

·
Banned
45 Posts
In my I-Drive Menu i can only set the settings for the SMG shiftmethode when the "M" Button is pressed, but not for the default settings.

Does someone know, if it is possible to change the default SMG shiftspeed without the M Button pressed?

The Goal is to tell the car that everytime i start the car, the default shiftspeed should be at 3, and not at 1, because its very very slow at 1.
Another Goal would be to tell the Car that default shiftmethode is not "D", its "S" (Manual).

This would be awesome if some finds this out !

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Zerocks1, this is so cool of you to do for us. I cant wait for your full write up.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In my I-Drive Menu i can only set the settings for the SMG shiftmethode when the "M" Button is pressed, but not for the default settings.

Does someone know, if it is possible to change the default SMG shiftspeed without the M Button pressed?

The Goal is to tell the car that everytime i start the car, the default shiftspeed should be at 3, and not at 1, because its very very slow at 1.
Another Goal would be to tell the Car that default shiftmethode is not "D", its "S" (Manual).

This would be awesome if some finds this out !
mollet, the only way (i know of) to set the defaults you indicated is with an aftermarket tune. As of this writing I have not seen anyone able to read or modify the DME or SMG modules, where this data exists that you wrote. Aftermarket tunes do in fact allow this as you would like to have, but unless I or others can read their own modified modules and replicate that code, only a tuner can do this for now

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.