BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from a weekend trip my E34 M5 3.6 (1992) instrument cluster suddenly behaved a bit "strange", and afterwards "CODE TACHO" was displayed in the info panel. Everything seems to work fine hereafter, exept that the "CODE TACHO" message remains in the display (pressing the OBC stalk has no effect). The CODE TACHO was persistent for the last two hours of my drive home. I searched a bit and found very little information about this fault code. I have tried to disconnect the battery (including shorting the terminals - of the car, not the battery :), but the "CODE TACHO" reappears quickly after reconnecting the battery.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)
Tore

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coding plug. My friend Singing6 (Bf.c) says it could just be a loose coding plug connection, but it could just as easily be a failing coding plug. You can try plugging it into a different cluster and see if the problem follows the coding plug or stays with the cluster. Also: as silly as it sounds, try just re-seating all the connectors at the back of the cluster. Please unplug your battery before doing any of this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi crzyindianbro.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion - I will try the "code plug" trick :)
The car has an airbag steering wheel - any special precautions when unmounting the steering wheel (in order the get access to the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Disconnect the battery for about ~10 minutes before removing the steering wheel. Don't use the steering lock to hold the wheel in place when tightening back on the steering wheel nut.

Also, it's good to avoid attacking the airbag with a knife.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The instrument cluster could be loosened enough to unplug its plugs, including the code plug (this was doable without removing the steering wheel). Everything was cleaned with contact cleaner. After assembly the "CODE TACHO" error message is gone. The OBC could be configured using the "normal" hidden functions (see Dirims old post here: E34 OBC Hidden functions
So far so good - now, I just hope the error does not reappear :)

Thanks for the helpful comments :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts