BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info on just what type scan tools you guys are useing to do diagnostics on your M5s. I've seen many references to 'peak code readers' and am wondering if this is only a code puller or does it offer a data stream? Is it by-directional and can you change the individual settings, DRL, auto door locks etc.?
I currently have the Vetronix Mastertech for domestic and Asian coverage but there is no European coverage available. I was told by my Vetronix rep I'd have to go to another tool altogether for Euro. coverage.
I'm looking for opinions on this Vetronix Scan Tool (don't have the model no. in ft. of me) for euros. as I'm weighing the cost vs. just how much use I'd be getting out of it.
Just wondering what you are useing and what other tools my be available. By the way, does anyone know who builds the scan tools the dealers are useing?
Thanks, James B.

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dealers use the Group 1 Tester (GT1) which is about $17.5K. There is a banner at www.centrallettershop.com/cd.html that shows this tool is on backorder right now. I think it is built by Siemens.

Also, there is an on-line approach using the Internet and a laptop for diagnostics that appears to be available. Not sure who is using this tool, but details are at www.autologic-diagnos.com.

I think MoDiC III is another tool that was superceded by the GT1. It works in conjuction with the Diagnostic and Information System (DIS-Plus). Seems to be cheaper than the GT1 but still in use.

You can try an internet search using the names of these tools and see what else you can find out. I'm going to ask my independent BMW mechanic what tools they are using next time I have service.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can find the Peake code reader on EBay for less than $140. Click here to see an example.

Mike

JamesB said:
I'm looking for some info on just what type scan tools you guys are useing to do diagnostics on your M5s. I've seen many references to 'peak code readers' and am wondering if this is only a code puller or does it offer a data stream? Is it by-directional and can you change the individual settings, DRL, auto door locks etc.?
I currently have the Vetronix Mastertech for domestic and Asian coverage but there is no European coverage available. I was told by my Vetronix rep I'd have to go to another tool altogether for Euro. coverage.
I'm looking for opinions on this Vetronix Scan Tool (don't have the model no. in ft. of me) for euros. as I'm weighing the cost vs. just how much use I'd be getting out of it.
Just wondering what you are useing and what other tools my be available. By the way, does anyone know who builds the scan tools the dealers are useing?
Thanks, James B.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I use the Peake tool for quick code checks and to reset the oil lights and cancel fault codes. The Peake tool provides pretty good coverage of BMW-specific fault codes. The companion Peake SRS (air bag) tool does a similarly good job reading and re-setting fault codes in this area. Between them, the Peake tools are the least expensive way to read BMW codes.

I also use the AutoTap software on a laptop for diagnostic purposes. This software - and the connectors needed - are also fairly inexpensive, but provides detailed, manufacturer-specific fault codes only for U.S. brands and a few Japanese; i.e., no European makes as of this time. This will likely change in the future, particularly for the older models, but right now you can only read the "standard" OBD II codes for the BMW which are still quite a few. But you can't get cam sensors, VANOS and the like. The advantage of the AutoTap software is that you can display real-time traces of sensor outputs (O2 sensors, MAFs, throttle position and the like). This allows you to determine whether sensors are behaving normally, and can help pinpoint a problem. I can usually figure out the problem using the Peake and AutoTap tools together.

However, it is fair to say that these inexpensive tools are a far cry from the dealer diagnostic tools. Eventually all of this will cost less, with the manufacterers continuing the practice of withholding needed infromation for the newest models.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I bought this two years back, there are other versions out just as good these days.
Ease OBD2

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help on this. I can't figure the reason the Europeans hold back on there release of diagnostic info. Maybe this is why the dealers seem to do so well. I'll try to nail down more info on the Vetronix tool which isn't listed on their website at this point. It's possibly not a Vetronix product but one they sell for another company.
I've got 3 years on factory warranty and another 2 extended before I have a real need for the tool but it would be nice to play with personal settings and watch all the input sensors while they are all new and working correctly. By the way I wasn't offered the checklist with how I wanted everything set up. Sales dept. played stupid (they're good at that) after I found out about it. I guess I'm lucky they told me about the M5DE.
James B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts