BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the "code plug" in the rear of the instrument (speedo, rev dial etrc) cluster panel ?

if you had the cluster but no code plug - would things work ?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
494 Posts
The code plug basically matches the cluster to the model of car. I only know about E30 models, but you can switch clusters between cars as long as you put in the correct code plug for the car.
I'm not sure how it applies to the M5, but I'd guess that the 3.6 and 3.8 have different code plugs, so the cluster is probably exchangable between the 2 cars as long as you have the correct code plug.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lads,

Just, somebody has shown intrest in the dials - asking also to make sure the code plug was with it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I thought that the coding plug "told" the car whether the cluster was miles or kilometers, plus it also stores the mileage and the Vin number.

Certainly the plug in my spare cluster has the Vin number on a sticker on it, and the Bentley Manual says that the coding plug contains the mileage.

Also, just as a note, you get a new coding plug from BMW, you just order one with your Vin number. The old coding plug needs (recommended) a special tool to remove it. This tool should come free with the new coding plug.

If you live in USA, then if changing the coding plug for any reason, you are supposed to stick a non-removable BMW label (pn : 89 89 1 000 500) to record the previous mileage to the left hand side door frame in accordance with the Federal Odometer Disclosure Requirement 92-513.

You are recommended to do this in other countries, but it is not mandatory. A new coding plug means milage reset to zero.

PS. I bought my mint UK cluster for £170. They go for £70-£200 on ebay.

Ivan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts