BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after some help from DT_, I narrowed it down to the sensor since I haven't had any overheating issues.

Most of the time I would get a limp mode that would go away once I restarted car, even in motion. Every time it was the dreaded 69.

I actually started getting them back in 2003 when I lived in NC. The temp dropped and swung around in the fall. The usual 45 degrees one day 75 the next.

Anyway it is a 12 dollar sensor and it is a 3 minute change. It is located in the middle of the intake tubes on the horn where the thermostat is located. Such an easy fix for what seems to be a major problem since you get limp mode.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just had the SES pop up for the first time in over a year... and that's the only code that the Peake reader found. The car is not driving differently, so I just reset it for now and will monitor. I'm glad it's an easy fix if it does have to be replaced. :) The weather has been weird here in Gainesville. Have frost outside in the morning, and it's 65-75 by lunchtime.

Thanks..
:cheers:

·
10,458 Posts
i have a difficult time discerning if the code on the peak tool is a 6- or a b-, check to see if there is a b9 code in the peak booklet.
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
mottati said:
i have a difficult time discerning if the code on the peak tool is a 6- or a b-, check to see if there is a b9 code in the peak booklet.
Mike
I was looking at the manual and it had 3 tips on there, one of them about whether it's a 6 or a b.. but I actually just assumed it was 69. I'll check it out again. Thanks.

·
10,458 Posts
Anzir said:
I was looking at the manual and it had 3 tips on there, one of them about whether it's a 6 or a b.. but I actually just assumed it was 69. I'll check it out again. Thanks.
I better rtfm! i'm never sure if it's a b or a 6...ouich
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well, B9 is the dreaded exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor exhaust #1-4; yikes. Unfortunately, the code has been cleared but the more I think about it (I cycled through it a few times before I reset it) the more I think it was actually 69. And I don't have any of the typical symptoms... YET! :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Anzir said:
Well, B9 is the dreaded exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor exhaust #1-4; yikes. Unfortunately, the code has been cleared but the more I think about it (I cycled through it a few times before I reset it) the more I think it was actually 69. And I don't have any of the typical symptoms... YET! :) Thanks again.
If it is flakey, it may be setting the code, but not a 'hard, constant' failure. if it is bad for a few milliseconds, you'll never notice it- but it will be set. Once it fails hard you should notice the blatty exhaust and lowered power.

I seem to recall that the SES was on when it was failed, then would go off when it was running OK- codes remained in the memory

Good news is that it is cheap and easy to fix...relatively

A

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I kept getting that code after adding Redline coolant "wetter" and finally had to flush the coolant system and refill it to get rid of it.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
XrayMD said:
I kept getting that code after adding Redline coolant "wetter" and finally had to flush the coolant system and refill it to get rid of it.
Interesting. I did that a couple of weeks ago and now I have an SES. How could WW affect it, just supposed to manage the heat better.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gsfent said:
Interesting. I did that a couple of weeks ago and now I have an SES. How could WW affect it, just supposed to manage the heat better.
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry-

I saw that other post- pretty perplexing with the b vs. 6 thing...

I assume steve's comment above is regarding a true '69' code, not a B9... I seem to recall reading that the coolant system in the M5 can develop an air lock (this in the context of 'don't flush your own coolant, you can get air trapped and burn up the motor')... so maybe opening up the system allowed air in and the temp sensor is getting 'implausible' readings...

(You might also pull codes even if the SES is off- I **think** they can still be set, and not illuminate the light. In other words, you might not need to wait until the light is on if you are looking to see if the probelm is still there.

A)

·
10,458 Posts
one neat tidbit i learned recently; in the event of a coolant temp sensor failure, the dme uses data from the oil temp sensor, so no harm done if the sensor is bad. You should not have a drivability problem with the coolant temp code.
Mike

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
ard said:
Jerry-

I saw that other post- pretty perplexing with the b vs. 6 thing...

I assume steve's comment above is regarding a true '69' code, not a B9... I seem to recall reading that the coolant system in the M5 can develop an air lock (this in the context of 'don't flush your own coolant, you can get air trapped and burn up the motor')... so maybe opening up the system allowed air in and the temp sensor is getting 'implausible' readings...

(You might also pull codes even if the SES is off- I **think** they can still be set, and not illuminate the light. In other words, you might not need to wait until the light is on if you are looking to see if the probelm is still there.

A)
Thanks. I don't think you get air in the system simply by adding fluid to a cold motor. I can do a purge, no harm I guess. I have no other codes, only the 18/63. BTW, the Peake is a great tool :trophy_bronze: and very easy to use. Just make a copy of the code book, it is only slightly smaller than War and Peace!:biggrinbounce: :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gsfent said:
Thanks. I don't think you get air in the system simply by adding fluid to a cold motor. I can do a purge, no harm I guess. I have no other codes, only the 18/63. BTW, the Peake is a great tool :trophy_bronze: and very easy to use. Just make a copy of the code book, it is only slightly smaller than War and Peace!:biggrinbounce: :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry
A long shot- just mentioning a factoid I had picked up...

The peake tool IS a winner... unlocks such a mysterious area (and only mysterious because they make it that way.)

FYI:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=670213&postcount=5

A

1 - 14 of 14 Posts