BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the beast being most displeased with me and my wallet has decided that a driveablity issue would be good to throw at me as well.

I am thinking that it is time for either a set of new MAFs of an Alpha-N tune, but I wanted to confirm this with the greatest S62 MSS52 knowledge base on the interwebs.

I am being presented with an "Air Mass Sensor 1" fault (peake code 29 table 1B / Hex 41).

Am I correct in thinking that the bank1 MAF is now in need of replacement?

The MAFs were replaced (last known) at 25,xxx miles and the car currently has 161,xxx miles (not feeling that they owe me anything).
Performance wise the engine response has gone noticeably flat and response is poor. The power also is noticeable down from 3000 rpm and upward. 4th gear pull from 3500-5000 feels like 6th at 1500 RpM.

Here is what INPA had to report this afternoon. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T​
-------------------------------------​
Date: 09/29/14 15:59​
ECU: MSS52DS1​
JobStatus: OKAY​
Variant: MSS52DS1​
-------------------------------------------------------------​
RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !​
41 Air mass sensor 1​
Error frequency : 16​
Logistic counter: 39​
_​
Error occured 1. times at:​
Engine speed 3160.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
Total air mass 44.00 kg/h​
Supplier voltage HR 13.90 V​
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 110.00 km​
_​
Error occured 2. times at:​
Engine speed 2960.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
Total air mass 40.00 kg/h​
Supplier voltage HR 14.00 V​
_​
Error occured 3. times at:​
Engine speed 2880.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 100.00 km​
_​
0010 - Short circuit to ground or value too small​
Error not present​
Sporadic error​
196 Misfire cyl. 1 cat.-dam.​
Error frequency : 1​
Logistic counter: 80​
_​
Engine speed 5840.00 rpm​
relative filling 100.80 %​
Cooling water temp. 86.00 degrees C​
Supplier voltage HR 13.70 V​
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 50.00 km​
_​
outside FTP-cycle​
Error not present​
Sporadic error​
=============================================================

View attachment 20140929_INPA-PrintFile - na_fs.pdf

Thank You

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
Time for a new motor.
Almost!

AGM5:

Have you run the dynamic "MAF" test? Test #4, option 2 on the unlocked OBC.

Next, swap MAF from side to side. If bad MAF, code should switch sides.

Other thought is to get some MAF cleaner, spray the MAF and see if there is a temporary improvement. If so, then MAF is bad.

Or just get a supercharger, it comes with a "free" alpha N tune!!!:byee55amg

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: sor118 and AGM5

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost!

AGM5:

Other thought is to get some MAF cleaner, spray the MAF and see if there is a temporary improvement. If so, then MAF is bad.

Regards,
Jerry
That is what I was thinking as well. I have not run test 4 recently so I will be doing that after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes see what gsfent says. A can of MAF cleaner and a blast down the road will tell you something. The biggest difference on the butt dyno out of all my sensor replacements was seen after MAF cleaning and subsequent replacement. Will be night and day improvement on the midrange & top end after cleaning if that is the issue.

Also switching sides was what I was thinking too. Another symptom I got with old MAF's was highway speed cruising (75-80mph), 80-90°f ambient, drop it in to 4th from 6th and WOT to pass slow moving traffic, there would be a gut wrenching drop in power like the motor just grenaded and then you're into limp mode. Shutting off engine and restarting all would be back to normal. This happened a couple of times prior to MAF replacement. Neve happened since.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Side for side is brilliant. It will rule out DME or wiring issue. Wallet is safe eyes are not. If you get the same code once you side for side then just unplug the sucker. DME will sub value 2 for value one. Be thankful it is not 2 because the IAT is read on 2.
Your eyes will burn and your soul will rot from the Cel but the car will not know the diff and your purse will be heavy. At least until you fix it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Allison, I have four MAFs sitting in my basement. I can send them to you if you want to test them for freshness. One set has 40K and not sure of the mileage on the other set.

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Almost!

AGM5:

Regards,
Jerry
Test 4.2 results are 128 (128.2 corrected)
2014-09-30 MAF Test 4.2.JPG

Yes see what gsfent says. A can of MAF cleaner and a blast down the road will tell you something. The biggest difference on the butt dyno out of all my sensor replacements was seen after MAF cleaning and subsequent replacement. Will be night and day improvement on the midrange & top end after cleaning if that is the issue.

Also switching sides was what I was thinking too. Another symptom I got with old MAF's was highway speed cruising (75-80mph), 80-90°f ambient, drop it in to 4th from 6th and WOT to pass slow moving traffic, there would be a gut wrenching drop in power like the motor just grenaded and then you're into limp mode. Shutting off engine and restarting all would be back to normal. This happened a couple of times prior to MAF replacement. Neve happened since.
Side for side is brilliant. It will rule out DME or wiring issue. Wallet is safe eyes are not. If you get the same code once you side for side then just unplug the sucker. DME will sub value 2 for value one. Be thankful it is not 2 because the IAT is read on 2.
Your eyes will burn and your soul will rot from the Cel but the car will not know the diff and your purse will be heavy. At least until you fix it.
Swapped the MAFs Bank1 for Bank2 and vice versa. No codes present before or after the swap test 4.2 remained unchanged. So, I am thinking that the fault is intermittent.

Allison, I have four MAFs sitting in my basement. I can send them to you if you want to test them for freshness. One set has 40K and not sure of the mileage on the other set.
Thank you so much James. I think that this will should be the next step. I will send you a PM with shipping information. Let me know what you would like in the line of remuneration.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Swapped the MAFs Bank1 for Bank2 and vice versa. No codes present before or after the swap test 4.2 remained unchanged. So, I am thinking that the fault is intermittent.
I don't think it's intermittent, I think that MAF has got so bad, it performance is bouncing around the level the DME sets the code. And the DME is very reluctant to set MAF codes. So sometimes the code sets and sometimes it doesn't, depending on drive cycles.

It looks like you have INPA. Can you post a pic of the "Analogue Values 2" screen to see what the adaptations are doing?

And the air flow, "total requirement (HLM) (kg/hr)" at 3000 rpm free-revving on the driveway (engine hot) would be interesting. That's the Analogue Values 1 screen. It should be around 84 kg/hr.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it's intermittent, I think that MAF has got so bad, it performance is bouncing around the level the DME sets the code. And the DME is very reluctant to set MAF codes. So sometimes the code sets and sometimes it doesn't, depending on drive cycles.

It looks like you have INPA. Can you post a pic of the "Analogue Values 2" screen to see what the adaptations are doing?

And the air flow, "total requirement (HLM) (kg/hr)" at 3000 rpm free-revving on the driveway (engine hot) would be interesting. That's the Analogue Values 1 screen. It should be around 84 kg/hr.
I will try to get these posted either this evening or Friday. I have been helping a friend rebuild the suspension in his M5 this week. And I am not driving the beast very much (only for diagnostics and the trip to the body shop for the estimate) as a raccoon decided that my front fascia need to be rearranged.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Analog Values 2 - Adaptations

Analog Values 1 - Total Air Requirement

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Well, that's puzzling. Those INPA shots look OK. Fuel trims look good apart from lambda integrators being slightly low, and airflow of 82 kg/hr at 3000 rpm is normal. I was expecting trims to be way out.

And come to think of it, your MAF test result of 128 l/hr isn't bad.

Maybe it is an intermittent problem. Does the car feel down on power all the time? Have you tried driving for a while with the MAF's disconnected?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that's puzzling. Those INPA shots look OK. Fuel trims look good apart from lambda integrators being slightly low, and airflow of 82 kg/hr at 3000 rpm is normal. I was expecting trims to be way out.

And come to think of it, your MAF test result of 128 l/hr isn't bad.

Maybe it is an intermittent problem. Does the car feel down on power all the time? Have you tried driving for a while with the MAF's disconnected?
The last time that I the car it felt normal. I have not driven the car with the MAFs disconnected. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
On first read I assumed you had a light. Re read this and maybe you just had a stored code? Can you confirm, about the light?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On first read I assumed you had a light. Re read this and maybe you just had a stored code? Can you confirm, about the light?
There were no codes that morning (checked with my Peake) but on the drive home the Check Engine Light came on with an accompanied loss of power and engine response.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And what codes?

So the beast being most displeased with me and my wallet has decided that a driveablity issue would be good to throw at me as well.

I am thinking that it is time for either a set of new MAFs of an Alpha-N tune, but I wanted to confirm this with the greatest S62 MSS52 knowledge base on the interwebs.

I am being presented with an "Air Mass Sensor 1" fault (peake code 29 table 1B / Hex 41).

Am I correct in thinking that the bank1 MAF is now in need of replacement?

The MAFs were replaced (last known) at 25,xxx miles and the car currently has 161,xxx miles (not feeling that they owe me anything).
Performance wise the engine response has gone noticeably flat and response is poor. The power also is noticeable down from 3000 rpm and upward. 4th gear pull from 3500-5000 feels like 6th at 1500 RpM.

Here is what INPA had to report this afternoon. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T​
-------------------------------------​
Date: 09/29/14 15:59​
ECU: MSS52DS1​
JobStatus: OKAY​
Variant: MSS52DS1​
RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !​
41 Air mass sensor 1​
Error frequency : 16​
Logistic counter: 39​
_​
Error occured 1. times at:​
Engine speed 3160.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
Total air mass 44.00 kg/h​
Supplier voltage HR 13.90 V​
_​
Error occured 2. times at:​
Engine speed 2960.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
_​
Error occured 3. times at:​
Engine speed 2880.00 rpm​
relative filling 8.00 %​
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 100.00 km​
_​
0010 - Short circuit to ground or value too small​
Error not present​
Sporadic error​
196 Misfire cyl. 1 cat.-dam.​
Error frequency : 1​
Logistic counter: 80​
_​
Engine speed 5840.00 rpm​
relative filling 100.80 %​
Cooling water temp. 86.00 degrees C​
Supplier voltage HR 13.70 V​
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 50.00 km​
_​
outside FTP-cycle​
Error not present​
Sporadic error​
=============================================================

View attachment 477305

Thank You
Code 41 (HEX) aka 29 (Peake Research). MAF 1

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Is this with the MAF's swapped? In other words, did this code come in with the original bank 2 sensor swapped onto bank 1?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this with the MAF's swapped? In other words, did this code come in with the original bank 2 sensor swapped onto bank 1?
No. The code has not reared its ugly head since it was cleared. the next restart saw no change in engine performance, but the next day all was right again. After this I performed the OBC test 4.2 (128). No rest of the MAF code with the MAFs swapped bank1 to bank2 and back. The MAFs are back to their original locations. When I get an opportunity to drive it again I will retest. And when I can get my hands on the 5point tool to extract the MAFs I will be testing with the sets that James has so generously sent.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts