BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My beast has gone into Protection Mode twice over the past two weeks. After cycling the ignition the car starts up with no issue and runs like a champ. I pulled codes 158 and 163 which both read "Reset DME over speed". I have never seen those codes before and haven't found any info related to them.

Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
What were you using to read the codes? Those are not the definitions I have 158 "Control unit self-test, communication slave" and 163 "Control unit self-test, master resets".

Those are very rare codes that have to do with the DME and they are bad/expense codes to have. There is no diagnostic posts here for either of those but some posts about how most handle them. They find good shops or head to the dealer. It seems to be a bus error, software corruption or bad DME. If it turns out to be the latter before you buy a new one they can be repaired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response. I am using the BMWLogger software from BimmerSoftware.com. I did find a post on bmwforums that lists the BMW Bosch DME MSS52 and MSS54 fault codes and these code numbers and description line up against what is indicated in that list.

I really appreciate the feedback - I do know that DME's can be repaired so it looks like I will be looking into that service.

·
Banned
150 Posts
I had the same code show up couple times, was advised to ignore it by sailor and others. I did end up sending the unit for testing (Alex from Illinois) the ECU came back as good, I just don't know how they test it it? Was it simple gt1 or INPA test, that I don't know as they had been prepping for race wars and didn't have time to discuss. I'm not sure how this code relates to the dme, or if it really means bad dme. Wishing you best in finding the resolution. What type of symptoms are you experiencing?

Rpm motor sports told me that it's best to buy used dme, and send it to them along with your key and the box. They will make the used dme work with your key.

Something strange I discovered: my key that worked perfectly fine now doesn't work with driver door lock, can't turn it. Not sure if someone swapped some stuff out while the car was in the body shop, because the trunk works, along with ignition, just not the door. I know it's not related, but just strange.

Paul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply Paul!

The car runs perfectly strong until the code presents itself. Once the code occurs, the car goes into limp mode. If I power cycle, the car resumes perfectly. It has only happened twice, but both times within 2 weeks so I am just concerned it may be a potential growing issue. The car has 287,600+ miles and is running like a champ otherwise.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
If I remember correctly you only ever saw one DME code not two and never had any symptoms, I also IIRC think you had the slave code not the master code so you did not have that combo of codes.

·
Banned
150 Posts
If I remember correctly you only ever saw one DME code not two and never had any symptoms, I also IIRC think you had the slave code, not the master code so you did not have that combo of codes.
I will look it up.

EDIT:

Found it.

P.s. I believe only way to be sure is to buy used and send to RPM. The DME code came up in the same software that you used.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting that information. Interestingly I (thankfully") didn't receive the "Internal DME Fault" error also but I think having my DME tested is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Software is only as good as the user. If you look at shadow codes like real codes that is a mistake. If you read a code and it has a count and frequency of 0 it could be a fault in the code reading software. A for instance is PA software's constant claim of a code for the cranksensor when in fact what it is picking up is the engine not stopping in the correct place. In that screen shoot there are two codes that should not be there because the frequency is 0. Also you can't see which are shadow codes they all look the same.

If you are using the same software then the first thing you should do is have your car read by different software preferably a Peake or a pro OBDII scanner available at quite a few auto part stores for free or cheap.

Andrew I gave you the three things that we have seen, but likely I should have said more. 163 is just telling you the DME had an error (likely software fart). The second DME fault code is what we look at for the cause that is the real error. That one appears to be a communication error so you need to get to someone that can track that error and they need to be well equipped with computer diag equipment. The last step for you will be to look in the DME for errors your first step would be to look for comm errors then a reflash to the latest BMW firmware then last the DME repair or replacement.

And please once you find an expert report because we have very little understanding or info on these DME errors.

Paul it would seem you are posting in other people threads to try and get help, no one will help you, that time has passed. Besides all the help you need is in your threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sailor24, thank you for your additional information and the three potentials. You got me thinking about the bus communication; I have an OBD vehicle tracking unit installed and I just removed it to see if it is interfering with any communication path. I drove a good distance today without any issue, but I am not ready to declare this a resolution yet. I will continue to monitor it to see if it is that simple or if the issue returns. I do know that we experienced an interference with the tracker in an i8 where it would interfere with the vehicle alarm being able to be activated and would randomly trigger the alarm while in motion. So, it is possible that this is the cause of interference, although, again, I am not willing to place full certainty on that yet. Thank you for directing my thoughts!

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
That is a possibility, some one had a radar buster that went bad and caused a similar issue. It was hard wired into the system/bus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts