BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for reading this.

I cannot for the life of me figure out, or remember which coaxial cables go to what audio/nav device. There are two coaxial cables coming over the wheel one is longer than the other, and one that is a single wire with a coax connection on each end. I believe this one goes from the CD changer to the Amp.

Does the radio need a coax connection to the Nav computer? And one more question, does anyone know where I can buy new coaxial connectors for the BMW thin coaxial cable.

The car has a DSP amp an MK4 dvd a cd changer and a radio with integrated nav....

Any pictures or a pointer to a wiring diagram for the coaxial cables would be greatly appreciated. My car is a july 2000.

Thanks for your help

Dan

·
Registered
554 Posts
I must be remembering wrong, but the only coax cable I recall is the one going from the antenna into the radio module. Isn't everything else on a wiring harness (maybe there was one to the CD changer)?

And one more question, does anyone know where I can buy new coaxial connectors for the BMW thin coaxial cable.
1,000,000x this. I think this is RG58 but I'm not sure. I'm doing a tablet install and need a cable/adapter to connect to the antenna coax and run through the car and hook into an SDR radio up front. Not really sure what to go with here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the later cars don't have the tiny coaxial cables, they are like a quarter the size of the antenna plug, and each component has a male receiver for them, the MK4 the CD changer and the Radio. I haven't seen a wiring diagram for the audio that shows these little cables. Thanks for responding and goodluck with your install

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dan,

Check this site out. WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model Selection great resource for our wiring. I recently tore apart the rear deck of my car to reinstall my GPS antenna line along with my FM/AM antenna line. (Don't ask lol)

What is it that you're trying to do. I ended up going to the dealer and ordering the part that I found off of Realoem.

Where about in MA are you?

- Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply! I am in Harvard, ma.

I am trying to restore my audio system. It all started after I upgraded the speakers, there were some intermittents and I figured I would undo the twisted and taped wires to the Amp and the Radio. Then all hell broke loose in my life and I didn't have time to finish repairing the harness. Now I can't remember where anything goes.....

I used to use a wiring diagram site called spaghetti coder but the link is dead now. Thanks a ton for the link to the diagrams!

Are you in Massachusetts too?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am in MA too. Live over in Billerica. Couple of other active guys on the forums are up this way too.

No problem man. I forget where to look on the bmw-planet link but with enough searching, you'll find it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool,, Maybe some time I can take a look at your car's audio, that might be the best way to see where things are supposed to go....Unless you have an aftermarket system

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi and thanks for reading this.

I cannot for the life of me figure out, or remember which coaxial cables go to what audio/nav device. There are two coaxial cables coming over the wheel one is longer than the other, and one that is a single wire with a coax connection on each end. I believe this one goes from the CD changer to the Amp.

Does the radio need a coax connection to the Nav computer? And one more question, does anyone know where I can buy new coaxial connectors for the BMW thin coaxial cable.

The car has a DSP amp an MK4 dvd a cd changer and a radio with integrated nav....

Any pictures or a pointer to a wiring diagram for the coaxial cables would be greatly appreciated. My car is a july 2000.

Thanks for your help

Dan
there are two coaxial cables one from the CDC to the amp and one from the C43 radio module. Keep in mind that the coaxial and GPS antenna cables both use SMB male connectors so they will fit the wrong device.

As far as sourcing cables ask Clemster. If you need something custom, a high end audio shop might be able to help. Remember to get the cables terminated with SMB male terminals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks A lot Great advice! Just to be clear the CDC is the MKIV right? And the cable to the radio, is that one of the cables that emerges from over the wheel well into the audio compartment?

The advice on the high end audio shop for the new cables with SMB connectors is a good one. The SMB connectors in my car fell off and they don't seem to easily crimp back in place.

Thanks Again!
Dan

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks A lot Great advice! Just to be clear the CDC is the MKIV right? And the cable to the radio, is that one of the cables that emerges from over the wheel well into the audio compartment?

The advice on the high end audio shop for the new cables with SMB connectors is a good one. The SMB connectors in my car fell off and they don't seem to easily crimp back in place.

Thanks Again!
Dan
The CDC is the CD Changer the MK-IV (or Mk-II, III) is the navigation computer. If the SMB terminals have fallen off from the cable the terminal will have to be replaced. If the cable is coming over the rear wheel arch from the front of the vehicle it is NOT an audio cable but an antenna (radio, GPS, phone). IIRC, the SMB terminated antennas are silver and the audio are copper/gold coloured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts