BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse the redundancy if this has been covered, but I'm curious as to the value of heat coating headers. HPC who does a lot of work on IRL and CHAMP cars is located near me. They maintain that their product (which would entail coating both the inside and outside of the headers) will significantly reduce engine bay heat as well as allowing the gases to escape with less friction etc.etc. While it sounds plausible, I wonder what the practical effect would be. Any thoughts? On the other hand, for $185.00, I don't think it could hurt!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi:

The benefits of ceramic coating the outside of headers is well known, and yes it does decrease engine compartment T°. I also believe that it does decrease the sound output through the header walls.

As far as the coating the inside, well I don't know...hmmm

At $185, that seems quite reasonable. Find out if the coat any headers for that price...I believe a GB for the supersprints is quoting $300 for the coating...but that is a double ceramic coating.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I am asking is what are the benefits, other than the temp and sound? Is there a measurable HP gain, longer life in the headers or what?

Thanx in advance

jjc1843 said:
Hi:

The benefits of ceramic coating the outside of headers is well known, and yes it does decrease engine compartment T°. I also believe that it does decrease the sound output through the header walls.

As far as the coating the inside, well I don't know...hmmm

At $185, that seems quite reasonable. Find out if the coat any headers for that price...I believe a GB for the supersprints is quoting $300 for the coating...but that is a double ceramic coating.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
PCUT said:
I guess what I am asking is what are the benefits, other than the temp and sound? Is there a measurable HP gain, longer life in the headers or what?

Thanx in advance
It's not something you do to gain horsepower. Rather it's to prevent you from losing horsepower due to heat soak in the engine bay. Adding headers, or anything for that matter that produces more power, will also produce more heat.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx- That puts in perspective- I think I'll spend the $.
doug said:
It's not something you do to gain horsepower. Rather it's to prevent you from losing horsepower due to heat soak in the engine bay. Adding headers, or anything for that matter that produces more power, will also produce more heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts