BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, thank you all for your posts to this board. I am at 83,000km and replacing my clutch, new OEM flywheel purchased $600, stock h.p. for now and used on the street, not for racing. However, I do have a few late night drives in the mountain curves for fun. Not high speed, just lots of shifts and powering out of corners. Have not seen any posts regarding the CNS Racing BMW E39 M5 9.45 Inch Direct Fit Clutch Kit $1198. Any advice for someone not looking to go to a racing setup but looking for performance and calm performance in town. Comments on Sachs Performance Clutch also appreciated. I may have the flywheel balanced and perhaps lightened before the install.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you're not adding power or racing the car, just stick with the stock clutch and maybe go with a lightened OEM-size dual-mass flywheel.

CNS makes good products, but no need to upgrade if it's not necessary. The stock clutch will stand up to street driving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Mfreakin5 for the advice. I am sure the original stock clutch would have held to well over 100k km had I not missed a shift passing a semi on a two-lane.....it took several miles for the clutch to cool down and has never been the same since. A very expensive golf game!

I have a tendancy to "buy up" in the aftermarket with boat, motorcycle and car parts. Future performance mods in the next year likely to be: Evolve headers, muffler delete, CAI, suspension but no super-charging. Max r.w.h.p. gain will be limited to maybe 25%. I considered going oversize on the flywheel clutch combo just couldn't justify the total cost against the budget for the other stuff....particularly those headers. We get the beast breathing a little better and it'll be happier at high RPMs. That with MAFs, sensor replacements and some rubber and we'll be on the right side of $10k for this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts