BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,


Am about to order a new clutch for my 1995. I have noticed it slightly slip over the last two days so I'll take the genie's warning.

Apart from the Clutch plate itself, is there anything else I should have changed whilst having it done. Release mechanism etc? Would trawl through older post but don't have time today.


Best


M5 Powered
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
I always replace all three main parts. Pressure Plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing. If there are wear signs you might want to do the release fingers, This ususally is not needed unless ther was some serious bearing failure. While its down you shoul d do tranny mounts and inspect driveline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
M5 powered said:
Hi all,


Am about to order a new clutch for my 1995. I have noticed it slightly slip over the last two days so I'll take the genie's warning.

Apart from the Clutch plate itself, is there anything else I should have changed whilst having it done. Release mechanism etc? Would trawl through older post but don't have time today.


Best


M5 Powered
I would also do the pilot bearing.

BobZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
M5 powered said:
Hi all,


Am about to order a new clutch for my 1995. I have noticed it slightly slip over the last two days so I'll take the genie's warning.

Apart from the Clutch plate itself, is there anything else I should have changed whilst having it done. Release mechanism etc? Would trawl through older post but don't have time today.


Best


M5 Powered
Are you fitting this yourself? When I had mine replaced at the dealership it cost £1400 inc a new sump gasket. Not cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
madm5 said:
Are you fitting this yourself? When I had mine replaced at the dealership it cost £1400 inc a new sump gasket. Not cheap

Should be able to get it done for around £500?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Should be able to get it done for around £500?
If you can then great but the part cost just for the clutch came close to that with all bits i believe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
Mine cost less than £900 when I had it done last at BMW - and that included a new flywheel!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
madm5 said:
If you can then great but the part cost just for the clutch came close to that with all bits i believe
Justed checked the invoice from Jan 2005:

M5 clutch kit £220
Labour (clutch and propshaft coupling) £225
Total £445 inc vat
Less 10% BMW car club discount

Thats an independant mind, not the main dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Justed checked the invoice from Jan 2005:

M5 clutch kit £220
Labour (clutch and propshaft coupling) £225
Total £445 inc vat
Less 10% BMW car club discount

Thats an independant mind, not the main dealer
based on that I think i'm gonna have to find a few independent specialists then
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Justed checked the invoice from Jan 2005:

M5 clutch kit £220
Labour (clutch and propshaft coupling) £225
Total £445 inc vat
Less 10% BMW car club discount

Thats an independant mind, not the main dealer
What Specialist was it that you used? That price is very good, do you know what this garage charges for servicing....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Hi Jon

I got my clutch kit from CAFCO at around £185. From memory the kit from BMW was cicra £225. Labour was about 2 to 3 hours at circa £40/45 an hour. I used Munich Motors of Wokingham, Berkshire.

Cheers

BC



Jon Baker said:
What Specialist was it that you used? That price is very good, do you know what this garage charges for servicing....?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top