BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to purchase a clutch Stop (og one was broken). Got one on ebay that is adjustable. Is there any disadvantage to shortening the travel on the pedal to less than what stock was or should I screw it in as far as it goes? Obviously I would ensure that the gear shifts are smooth. Thanks​

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Make sure your car will start. If the stop prevents too much clutch pedal travel, you may not be able to start her up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Having the start problem with my Rogue adjutable at the moment. If I press hard, the car will start, so I can't be more and a mil or 2 off, but its driving me nuts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used to have a uuc "big boy" and adjusted it so i can start car and to shift gears smoothly . but after a while my clutch was starting to slip. so i put the oem one in. just my opinion I WOULDN'T SHORTEN TRAVEL of pedal

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You need the pedal to travel to full clutch disengagement, but not to the point of overextending the cylinder on the clutch.

I'd go with stock height if I were you.

d-

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had the same thing happen, my stock clutch stop was missing, so I got the UUC replacement.

I cut a little off the end, but end up removing the little plastic cap on the end of the switch, and then inserting a screw into the tip, just long enough to trigger the switch

·
Registered
543 Posts
You need the pedal to travel to full clutch disengagement
Any idea on the distance that is? I would bet that the engagement point to start the car is not the same as the optimal point for clutch disengagement?

BMW engineers are smart, but they have to build in some significant tolerances - wonder what they are.

-Kmac

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The point of clutch engagement and disengagement changes as the clutch wears, so this is kind of a tough question.

The point at which the car will start is completely variable and depends solely on where the clutch engagement switch is located.

I'm a bit unclear on why you are trying to shorten the pedal travel. If you are thinking you'll save significant shift time, I'd say I'm a little skeptical. I would, however, be concerned about making your stroke travel so short that your clutch ceases to fully disengage over time...

d-

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm not an expert on this topic so correct me if I'm wrong but is the purpose of the self adjusting clutch(SAC) to maintain the same point of engagement as wear occurs?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm not an expert on this topic so correct me if I'm wrong but is the purpose of the self adjusting clutch(SAC) to maintain the same point of engagement as wear occurs?
Well, sort of. The point of a self adjusting clutch is that you don't need to perform the adjustment since it will adjust itself.

But even on a self-adjusting clutch there is some (admittedly small) amount of variation over time.

I wouldn't expect it to be the difference between engagement at floor and engagement at release, but it sounded like he was trying to cut it close so I wanted to raise the issue.

d-

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciaite all of your input on the matter. I think I'm convinced, I'll be going with the oem stop. Don't want to risk damaging the clutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clutch stop trouble

Has anyone else had any trouble after the installation of an aftermarket clutchstop? Instead of messing with the start sensor, I just shortened the stop itself by cutting off the about half an inch from the end. It is still well over what the oem stop is and it feels way better to drive. Edy07<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1255745", true); </SCRIPT> you wrote that you statred to feel slippage. Anyone else have any trouble? It's simply not worth a new clutch of that is the case. Any input from you guys is greatly appreciaited. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm using a clutch stop and absolutely love it, it feels so great. One day I switched back to OEM clutch stop and I realized what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
There's quite a bit of clutch pedal travel that can be eliminated safely, just need to adjust it properly, and put in a little extra travel if you want to be safe.

I would never go back to stock, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts