BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a clutch stop from Nelson aka bmwclutchstop @ gmail.com and figured I'd snap a few pictures during the process. It's a fairly straight forward install (10 minutes) but it's helpful for someone that doesn't know how or where the clutch stop installs.

Nelson's clutch stop comes with 3 parts. The stop itself, a flat washer and a nut to lock it in place.

In comparison to the stock clutch stop, this one offers more adjustability allowing you to reduce clutch pedal travel. I also had the UUC big boy stop in my M3, but didn't want to spend much on a part that does the same thing.

The stock clutch stop is made out of plastic with a rubber condom.

The stock clutch stop is located on the floor directly behind the clutch pedal. Remove it using a philips screwdriver.

Once removed, it's just a threaded hole. You want to put the flat washer first, then the nut so that it sandwiches the washer in between.

I started with the nut fully threaded down (longest clutch throw) and then adjusted it until my car stopped starting. The clutch has a switch that prevents the car from starting so you can't adjust the clutch stop to the longest setting (shortest clutch throw) without modifying the bracket that holds the pedal switch. This can be easily done by bending the bracket. Or hardwiring it to disable the clutch switch. With the clutch stop in, you simply screw it by hand. Even with the clutch stop at the shortest length, it's noticeably shorter than stock.

Hope this was helpful! Enjoy your new shorter clutch. :wroom:

Link to clutch stop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, but what is the point in this mod? I don't understand why you would want to stop pushing the clutch all the way down?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry, but what is the point in this mod? I don't understand why you would want to stop pushing the clutch all the way down?
i was actually speaking to someone at a local BMW shop, and they said that this could actually be harming your clutch....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2007 E60 (6 MAT) has a clutch stop? I purchased one from BT and they insist that it is there, however their customer service is horrible and I can't get any detailed information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been thinking about this for my E60 and also my E46 M3. The auction you linked says the "shorty" is for E39 only. Can anyone confirm if the "shorty" or the longer E30, E46, etc. version is the right fit for the E60?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Been thinking about this for my E60 and also my E46 M3. The auction you linked says the "shorty" is for E39 only. Can anyone confirm if the "shorty" or the longer E30, E46, etc. version is the right fit for the E60?
Only the "Shorty" will work without modification. The one for the E30/36/46 would require you to modify the clutch interlock switch.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i was actually speaking to someone at a local BMW shop, and they said that this could actually be harming your clutch....
Anyone have an answer on this? I'm sure the clutch pedal has plenty of room to spare in its travel to fully disengage, but if you're reducing the travel, how can you be sure it's completely disengaging?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone have an answer on this? I'm sure the clutch pedal has plenty of room to spare in its travel to fully disengage, but if you're reducing the travel, how can you be sure it's completely disengaging?
If you can easily get into first from a complete stop, you're completely disengaged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts