BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car 2000 M5 from the dealer for electrical issues, but when driving home i get this strange smell and it is most probably a clutch smell. However, the clutch is fine no slippage nothing at all.

so i took it back to the dealer and the guy says it is a clutch wearout?!!! is that true?
i never drive my car hard
what seems to be the problem this is my third time changing the clutch

could it be an oil leak that makes the smell come out?

your help guys

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A slipping clutch will allow the RPM to flash quickly like this.:M5rev:
A slipping clutch should also smell like new hot brake pads.

·
Registered
255 Posts
To see if the clutch is truly worn try this:
-Shift into 1st gear.
-Make sure the clutch is ingauged.
-Floor the loud pedal.
-If the RPM's rise significantly faster than your speed then your clutch is wearing. If not then you should be fine.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks 6spd thanks julesnadtish
will try to do that today but today i hit it real hard and it seems that the smell is gone but the clutch pedal seems to be less stiff than before and shifting is smooth unlike before
cheers

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sounds like someone at the dealer likes to "thrash" your car....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like someone at the dealer likes to "thrash" your car....
well it seems like it....
anyway
i tried what you guys said and there is nothing wrong and everything is fine now!!!!!

soo strange
but let me ask you guys, lets say it is slipping, would it harm if i drive it like this until it is totally worn out? would it damage anything else in the car?

cheers

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
THIRD time??!?!?!

Did they replace the clutch disc AND the pressure plate?? Also what did they do with the flywheel?

(I got 96k miles out of mine...AND it still had 30-40% left on it. Replace it when the rear main seal was being replaced under CPO warranty.)

You can damage the flywheel if you drive a car with a slipping clutch.

So, post up the actual part numbers they replaced with the prior services...they do give you receipts there, right?

A

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
To see if the clutch is truly worn try this:
-Shift into 1st gear.
-Make sure the clutch is ingauged.
-Floor the loud pedal.
-If the RPM's rise significantly faster than your speed then your clutch is wearing. If not then you should be fine.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:
I think you probably meant that he should do this in 3rd gear - if he does what you suggest in first he'll just smoke the tires...

d-

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THIRD time??!?!?!

Did they replace the clutch disc AND the pressure plate?? Also what did they do with the flywheel?

(I got 96k miles out of mine...AND it still had 30-40% left on it. Replace it when the rear main seal was being replaced under CPO warranty.)

You can damage the flywheel if you drive a car with a slipping clutch.

So, post up the actual part numbers they replaced with the prior services...they do give you receipts there, right?

A
yeah ARD they gave me receipts but let me pull it out from my files

cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
It could be the Transmission Leaking

There's a good chance if your clutch is OK, it might be a minor leak coming from the transmission seals. Take off the plastic shielding and see if you notice any fluid leaking from the two seals. I just had the replace mine. Not cheap ~$1800. They have to drop the transmission and take it apart to replace the seals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts