BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI...I have P500, SMG at max bars, DSC off, M mode on, SB set to green. I noticed yesterday I was getting clutch slip starting out in 1st gear. A lot more noticeable on a hill. Anyone else notice this?

It just seemed to start happening...I've been running the SB the past 2 summers. I figured I'd try the SMG reset so I got up to 50+ and held back the flippers. This didn't seen to make much of a difference. I turned off the SB last night and this morning on the way to work I didn't notice any clutch slip at all.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like tapping or something? What would that mean?

I don't recall "hearing" anything. Just "feeling" slipping in the pedal starting out in first (mostly starting out on a incline). I didn't feel it this morning with the SB off.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
this is interesting and I know there are quite a few members on here with SB and SMG. Tony, Phu, Paul, to name a few..

Dan

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I haven't had this issue. I did have clutch slip a while back and did turn off the SB to see if there was a correlation but the clutch was still slipping. Months later, the clutch went out but it wasn't from the SB; it was just time for the clutch to go with over 50K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
FYI...I have P500, SMG at max bars, DSC off, M mode on, SB set to green. I noticed yesterday I was getting clutch slip starting out in 1st gear. A lot more noticeable on a hill. Anyone else notice this?

It just seemed to start happening...I've been running the SB the past 2 summers. I figured I'd try the SMG reset so I got up to 50+ and held back the flippers. This didn't seen to make much of a difference. I turned off the SB last night and this morning on the way to work I didn't notice any clutch slip at all.
I've only had the SB for a few months, but in the past couple weeks on a few occasions I have experienced what might be slippage. Before jumping to any conclusions, I was planning on having the clutch adaptation run in the next week or so to see if that helps any.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I haven't had this issue. I did have clutch slip a while back and did turn off the SB to see if there was a correlation but the clutch was still slipping. Months later, the clutch went out but it wasn't from the SB; it was just time for the clutch to go with over 50K miles on it.
Interesting. Mine has 37k on it and I drive it very modestly. The previous owner was also of my same driving habits...so I don't think the clutch would be going based on the driving habits and mileage.

I've only had the SB for a few months, but in the past couple weeks on a few occasions I have experienced what might be slippage. Before jumping to any conclusions, I was planning on having the clutch adaptation run in the next week or so to see if that helps any.
Mine seemed to be SB related as I didn't notice slippage this morning with the SB off. I will pay attention and look for it coming home tonight and report back.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've had my SB for about 3 months and haven't experienced any type of clutch slippage. I had mine at red since I got it and just today switched it over to green, because I was jumping a bit too much at red lights haha.

Time will tell though, you've also got to take into account with higher mileage cars there will be a high likelihood of things going needing "work"

·
Registered
431 Posts
what do you mean by "slippage"?

i drive a manual, but I did get some jerking going on when trying to start in first with the SB in red mode. I leave it in green mode now and it no longer happens. it was like a feedback loop of not slipping the clutch enough causing it to grab and made the car jerk which made my foot hit the gas pedal and since its so sensitive in red mode it would jerk again. the whole drive line would bind up and release. usually I would just throw the clutch pedal in to correct it but that's not really an option for you 2 pedal guys...

BTW my clutch has less than 6k miles on it and I have a tune that increases the throttle response as well.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you mean by "slippage"?

i drive a manual, but I did get some jerking going on when trying to start in first with the SB in red mode. I leave it in green mode now and it no longer happens. it was like a feedback loop of not slipping the clutch enough causing it to grab and made the car jerk which made my foot hit the gas pedal and since its so sensitive in red mode it would jerk again. the whole drive line would bind up and release. usually I would just throw the clutch pedal in to correct it but that's not really an option for you 2 pedal guys...

BTW my clutch has less than 6k miles on it and I have a tune that increases the throttle response as well.

By slippage I'm meaning it almost feels like I'm spinning my tires a bit but I'm obviously not.

Off-topic: I get jerking if I drive immediately on a cold engine with green setting (thats totally different though) but that will not happen if I let it warm up for a min or two. Same exact scenario as you...I have SMG though.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I have not had any issues with slipping at all.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not had any issues with slipping at all.
I haven't either until just recently. Been running it for the past 2 summers. But like I said this morning after turning it off the slipping stopped.

Very weird.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Anyone with slipping have INPA?
Yes sir. Like another poster said though, not too skilled at it. I feel like the slipping would be cured with a clutch adaptation. Mine happens when I fight traffic for 1.5 hours. After the car cools down overnight, its back to normal. In my mind the slip level adjustment is heating up the clutch and not letting it grab at the proper point after a lot of 1st gear engagements. I have 45k on the clock. Never happens except after long bouts of traffic, or if my wife drives it....... Oh and I don't have a SB or tune.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I just posted the below question in the Clutch adaptation DIY thread, but figured it might be appropriately injected into this discussion. Apologies to all for the duplicate post, but as all have not read/subscribed to the clutch adaptation DIY, hopefully others will be helped a s well...

I am considering using my BM Technic software and the DIY to run the adaptation on my EuroSMG flashed 2006 beast as I think I might have felt the very beginnings of slippage or shudder occasionally when taking off in 1st gear.
2nd owner (purchased from my next door neighbor a few years back) with approx 50K miles on 2nd clutch which was replaced by previous owner. I have had no other clutch/transmission related issues, and don't think the clutch has been adapted during my ownership, although it might have also been done when I got the Euro SMG flash... don't really know and don't know how to track down the guy that flashed it for me anymore.
My goal is to try to ensure I don't run into an issue due to an otherwise unknown failing component or out of spec issue which might prevent the adaptation form completing.

Are there any tests I can/should run in advance to verify my magnetic clutch position sensor and clutch slave cylinder are up to snuff before attempting the adaptation?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The SB should not create any ill effect to your clutch. You're feeling less or no slip with the SB off because when off, the SB does not send the extra signal(s) to the pedal.

Perhaps you can the clutch re-adaptation and see if this brings her back to life otherwise, soon it will be time for a new clutch.

BTW, I had my SB for at least 4yrs and always on red and never encountered any of the clutch issues described above.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The SB should not create any ill effect to your clutch. You're feeling less or no slip with the SB off because when off, the SB does not send the extra signal(s) to the pedal.
How is this any different that giving the car more throtle? That's what thr SB does...less push=more throttle. I didn't get the slip with heavy throttle with the SB off. Therefore I can surmise it's/was the SB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts