BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a run around the A406 this evening, it's probably the first time the motors been driven how it should be (by me)...

When shifting from 4 - 5 at around 6k rpm + the engine remained rev-ing, no accleration. However if I do 30mph and shift to 6th and floor it there's no clutch slip, the motor accelerates well. So me thinks a new clutch is in order eh? It's still on the orginal at 88k.

Separately, my peake reader reports code 0E 10; pre cat oxygen sensor ageing bank 1, when the key is in position 1 (first click, blowers not on). If I turn the key to the last position before the motor starts (blowers on, etc) and then read codes it reports none :confused2 Additionaly, when in position 1 if I press go after encountering the first code nothing happens, its like the reader is stuck :grrrrr:

When i first purchased the motor there were some codes in the latter key position, i cleared these and they never came back.

Comments welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Kamm, don't write off the clutch just yet! It has some kind of auto adjust feature which can make it feel weird.. Maybe just slow the changes down to begin with and give it a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
You have no codes bro.

You need to put it to the last key stage, before firing the starter. (I call have called this ignition key position 2 since I was about 7 years old (all warning lights are illuminated)).

Re clutch : If its slipping, its slipping. Change it, unless of course your foot was still riding the clutch pedal, in which case just change your driving style :)

Reactions: kamm121

·
Registered
295 Posts
My stock clutch slipped after hard driving with only 16,000 miles on it. I sent it on it's way and got a JB racing flywheel and 850csi clutch.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Re clutch : If its slipping, its slipping. Change it, unless of course your foot was still riding the clutch pedal, in which case just change your driving style :)
+1 When a clutch slips, it slips and is not going to magically heal itself. I had this happen with a nearly new Dinan S3 clutch. After about a year of street driving it would slip at low rpms in 4th/5th gear and under light load. Had a major row with the vendor (and the installer from whom I expected better) who tried to put the blame on my driving habits ("of course it's slipping - you're lugging it..."). This was after I demonstrated to them how I knew it was slipping.ouich

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
OP, as mentioned by others a slipping clutch is a slipping clutch.. But it sounds to me from what youve written that it's not slipping, more that the revs hang between upshifts when giving the car some beans. Dosent cost you any to ride with it for a few more miles just to be sure

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This is exactly what I have mate, and it hasn't improved with time. In fact, it's gradually getting worse to the point where I won't be giving it beans until the clutch is done now :(

Used to slip only on upshifts but went to overtake a dawdler on Tuesday morning, hard throttle in third from c.35mph, and it built to about 3500rpm before red-lining. Ah, well, these things don't last forever....

Been checking out the LUK clutch and possibly flywheel after a quick word with M5London :) I think that should sort it. I don't often drive it hard, that's waiting for trackdays.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going in for new LUK clutch + flywheel tomorrow, quoted just over 920 GBP fitted incl vat, is this a good price?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Going in for new LUK clutch + flywheel tomorrow, quoted just over 920 GBP fitted incl vat, is this a good price?
I think BMW want about £1100 just for the PARTS alone !

Reactions: kamm121

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I got a quote for BMW parts - £1,384.20 plus VAT!
I thought I'd seen it written that that was the kind of figure.

How much labour would they charge on that then... :byebye:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
LOL, loaded question :)

When my clutch is done, I plan to do :

Clutch and flywheel
Slave cylinder
Rear main seal
Guibo
Centre bearing
Diff input shaft seal

There are various other parts that Kumaran has mentioned in another thread, flywheel bearings, and some other bearings etc. Worth checking for that thread, but my bits listed above are basically all there because of parts that are off, namely the exhaust and propshaft.

EDIT - Got it, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...h-flywheel-rear-main-seal-job-parts-list.html

There's another part to replace behind the flywheel too, a sort of collar over the shaft, if you have that off, but can't find the post with it in, someone will chime in...

Was considering doing the short-shift conversion too while I'm under for easier access underneath, again no exhaust/propshaft and the connectors are easier to get too I think.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had the rear main seal and all three diff seals done (which were all leaking slightly). For afforability's sake I kept it down to what needed doing rather than what could be done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts