BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch on my '93 3.8 is starting to slip. It's been suggested I install the flywheel from a 3.6 since it's lighter. The parts would be easier to get here in the US also. Has anyone installed the 3.6 flywheel on the 3.8? Would it be a wise conversion.

TIS,
Greg

·
Registered
584 Posts
You should call Rob Levinson up @ UUC and talk to him about their clutch. He designed it to work with his 3.8 I'd imagine. And the one time I called UUC for some questions I ended up speaking to him and he was more than happy to go over things with me. And I hope he takes me up on my suggestion for them making poly M60 engine mounts...

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
The 3.6 single mass flywheel and 3.6 clutch combination will definitely help the engine spin up / rev quicker .

We can also supply a lighter than 3.6 flywheel at 4.5 kg :

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did this mod on my 3.8L to the stock 3.6L flywheel and I was surprised the difference. The engine really does rev noticeably quicker.

-Russ

·
Registered
821 Posts
What are the reasons for keeping the oem flywheel? I don't need to change my clutch, but it makes me wonder why bmw didn't just go with the lighter flywheel when they had it in production all along?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
What are the reasons for keeping the oem flywheel? I don't need to change my clutch, but it makes me wonder why bmw didn't just go with the lighter flywheel when they had it in production all along?
Lighter , more refined , clutch pedal .

The 3.8 in general tends to have a smoother , less aggressive feel than a 3.6 !

·
Registered
593 Posts
The DMF is there to damp gear rattle.

The 3.6ltr has gear rattle. I imagine fitting the SMF from a 3.6ltr will make a 3.8ltr rattle. Not a big issue really, what does the DMF weigh?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can confirm the lighter flywheel does create a slight gearbox rattle on the 3.8L

The DMF is there to damp gear rattle.

The 3.6ltr has gear rattle. I imagine fitting the SMF from a 3.6ltr will make a 3.8ltr rattle. Not a big issue really, what does the DMF weigh?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can confirm the lighter flywheel does create a slight gearbox rattle on the 3.8L
My 1995 525i Touring with the Modified S50 and 5 speed conversion has UUC light weight Flywheel, the 5 Speed ZF Tranny rattles like it's gonna blow up one of these days, but surely revs with very slight touch of the Accelerator Pedal...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Who makes the OE clutch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts