BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the new clutch installed and it feels great. Shifting is crisp, grab is tight and immediate. The car really feels great. I love it. (I don't know why a new clutch would make the car feel so much better).

HOWEVER, I now have a car that sounds like a very sick pick-up truck with exhaust/muffler problems. Loud, raw, fluttering sound at mid to high rpm range. Actually, I would call it noise. It seems to be coming from around the transmission area. It would not appear to be an exhaust/muffler problem as there is only normal engine sound when reved in neutral.

Lastly, the sound smooths out and is closer to normal after the car warms up.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

I really hate this part.

Thanks,

David E.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
david enock said:
I had the new clutch installed and it feels great. Shifting is crisp, grab is tight and immediate. The car really feels great. I love it. (I don't know why a new clutch would make the car feel so much better).

HOWEVER, I now have a car that sounds like a very sick pick-up truck with exhaust/muffler problems. Loud, raw, fluttering sound at mid to high rpm range. Actually, I would call it noise. It seems to be coming from around the transmission area. It would not appear to be an exhaust/muffler problem as there is only normal engine sound when reved in neutral.

I really hate this part.

Thanks,

David E.

·
Registered
784 Posts
david enock said:

I really hate this part.

Is it an OEM clutch assembly....... did they replace the throw-out bearing..... did the replace the pilot bearing..........

If as you describe the car sounds fine in neutral with your foot "OFF" the clutch pedal then the issue and associated noise must come from one of these three items not being happy.......unless timing was such that something withing the transmission decided to ask for help too.

Shadowman

Thanks,

David E.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to all those who replied to my post. My dealer is picking the car up this morning. I may have been mistaken in my description of the problem. The noise is there all the time...when gears are engaged and in neutral.

Seems like an exhaust problem. The exhaust was disconnected when they installed the new clutch. Apparently something in the exhaust system was reassembled improperly.

Anyway, thanks to all. www.m5board.com is the best. And thanks to you Gustav for originating the site and building it into such a great resource for car enthisiasts everywhere.

David E.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts