BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here been reimbursed for the clutch by BMWNA?

I had my clutch replaced, at 20,000 miles (MY 2002), out of pocket since the dealer would not cover it under warranty. Since then I have been on this board getting very valuable information on the premature wear of the clutch.

I have been in touch with BMWNA via email and they are saying that it is not covered under the full maintenace plan.

Does anyone know contact info for someone at BMWNA to whom I can write a letter to? Someone higher up in the ranks than just customer service reps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just wanted to say I hate BMW service!

Marion

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
black02 said:
Has anyone here been reimbursed for the clutch by BMWNA?

I had my clutch replaced, at 20,000 miles (MY 2002), out of pocket since the dealer would not cover it under warranty. Since then I have been on this board getting very valuable information on the premature wear of the clutch.

I have been in touch with BMWNA via email and they are saying that it is not covered under the full maintenace plan.

Does anyone know contact info for someone at BMWNA to whom I can write a letter to? Someone higher up in the ranks than just customer service reps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Once you concede & cough up the cash, my thought is you won't be getting it back without legal action. The regional or national BMW folks have flexibility to waiver or negotiate fees before work is performed. Once you pay, refunds or financial reimbursements are rare. BMW and other manufacturers do not want to make a habit of refunding folks for out-of-warranty repairs. The word gets around and it could turn into a runaway condition.

·
Registered
463 Posts
black02 said:
It should be covered under full maintenance. What reason did the dealer give for not covering it?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I talked to my usually cooperative dealer about getting my clutch replaced a month before my warranty ran out. He said it's difficult to get BMW to pay for the work, and said that even if they did, there would be some adjustment in their favor for mileage. I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle over an OEM clutch, and that I would take it to a BMW race shop and get a better clutch put in.

Steve
00 M5
99 996

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did receive a refund cheque from my dealer after a clutch replacement at 9K miles on my '01 M5. However, I sent emails to the head of the M Division here in the USA, as well as BMW NA to plead my case. Only after, did BMW agree to cover the clutch.
The whole procedure left a very bad taste in my mouth, especially as it pertains to the dealership. I believe that it is your service manager who can make or break your case for clutch replacement under warranty. Without their backing it's an up-hill battle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EdP said:
It should be covered under full maintenance. What reason did the dealer give for not covering it?
Dealer said it was driver abuse. When I asked to show other signs of abuse they weren't able to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thebishman said:
I did receive a refund cheque from my dealer after a clutch replacement at 9K miles on my '01 M5. However, I sent emails to the head of the M Division here in the USA, as well as BMW NA to plead my case. Only after, did BMW agree to cover the clutch.
Could I get the contact information from you? I searched the web but wasn't able to find the contact info for division heads. Please PM.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My clutch is slipping....not even 4 months from buying it CPO'd. Today I explained my situation (among other things) to the service manager of the dealership I bought my car from. He agreed to call BMW to see if they'll cover a new clutch. I'm crossing my fingers....:eek:h:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I purchased my car 2001 M5 (Dinan CAI, Dinan exhaust, Dinan software) from a dealer. It had 15,100ish miles on it at the time of purchase. I had the car for about a week, hadn't even driven 100 miles when the clutch went out on Xmas morning. Roadside had to come tow the car. BMW replaced the clutch and fly wheel free of charge.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Paul I sent you an email, hope you received it.

For all of you guys with E39 M5s that are soon to be out of warranty my advice would be do NOT replace the stock clutch with the same BMW item as it's well known to be extremely weak regardless of BMW's denial to the contrary. I would pay for an aftermarket replacement clutch even out of pocket, and even if the car was still covered for at least a year under warranty. You'll have far less potential for future issues with the crap BMW clutch, AND you'll be able to enjoy/exploit the car's power to a greater extent without having to always be concerned that you'll fry the clutch with one botched launch.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
thebishman said:
For all of you guys with E39 M5s that are soon to be out of warranty my advice would be do NOT replace the stock clutch with the same BMW item as it's well known to be extremely weak regardless of BMW's denial to the contrary. I would pay for an aftermarket replacement clutch even out of pocket, and even if the car was still covered for at least a year under warranty. You'll have far less potential for future issues with the crap BMW clutch, AND you'll be able to enjoy/exploit the car's power to a greater extent without having to always be concerned that you'll fry the clutch with one botched launch.
I agree. This is the spot I'm in right now also. I'm pretty sure that the self-adjusting mechanism in my clutch is going south. The engagement is very high -- almost when the entire pedal travel is complete -- and it is inconsistent. I also get a metallic "clicking" or "snapping" sound at times in the middle of the engagement portion of the clutch travel. This is heard best from outside the car and is clearly coming from the clutch/transmission area underneath the car.

I've got 22,000 miles on my '01, and it runs out of warranty in Aug '05. I bought the car with 12,000 miles on it, and I know the past 10k miles have been treating the clutch with great respect. I have never transferred any significant power through it if it was not hooked up, and I always rev-match any downshifts so there is little if any clutch wear engaging a gear when downshifting.

The only place I see a problem with it right now is on 2-3, 3-4 shifts where they now feel "soft" and once I lifted right away when I detected just a tad of slippage. Starting off or a hard 1-2 shift feels fine. At this stage of the game, the symptoms are too remote for most dealers to think anything is wrong with it, but it is clear what is on the horizon.

Anyway, I know that when it comes time to replace this thing I will be going with the Stage 1 UUC setup. I had a chance to briefly drive Rob’s M5 with the Stage 1 last spring at TechFest, and I still can’t get that nice feeling of it out of my head! I never want to have to worry about the clutch again. :)

I guess I'll find out when I have the dealer pull the clutch out whether or not BMW will warrant a failing SAC mechanism as opposed to one that has completely failed. My dealer thought that if I wanted to go with the UUC clutch, and BMW covered the old one under warranty, they would be able to cover the labor at least.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got mine replaced (luckily) free of charge on my 2002/20k. I bought it second hand and within one month of purchase the clutch went out. The only problem was doing the repair at Santa Monica BMW. The car was worse off after they replaced it! Long story, I'll rant later.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I extended my Maintenance coverage the agreement specifically stated that clutches were covered.

I would guess it would be easier to get it covered under the maint. program as a wear item than the warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts