BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lost here. Somebody votes for UUC and others are against it. Rogue is seems to be OK but I don't know.

I'm going to replace my clutch but I need your help in deciding which one to take.

Thanks,

Muhammad,

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
OEM

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I'm lost here. Somebody votes for UUC and others are against it. Rogue is seems to be OK but I don't know.

I'm going to replace my clutch but I need your help in deciding which one to take.

Thanks,

Muhammad,
Opinions are all over the place and feelings are almost as strong as in the great oil debates!!:biggrinbounce:

If you are relatively stock and don't plan on doing street or strip drag racing, OEM works fine. Just make sure you don't add any serious power before the clutch is all the way out. Slipping the clutch to get rolling is fine, powershifting is not!:nono:

If you are adding serious power, then you have to look at the UUC 11 inch setup. There may be other companies to check (Spec and Clutchmasters come to mind), but you may want to do some research to see what they have and talk to satisfied customers before putting up any money.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
622 Posts
I go with OEM also. I had 85K on my 2002 M5 with no trouble. My 03 has 40K on it now. As long as you drive the clutch in the right manner....the "weak point" of the car will serve you well. Most burn out the clutch getting excited going into 2nd. OEM is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I have both OEM and UUC equipped cars. For Diablo, no question... UUC. It is a great clutch and a joy to use in combination with a LWFW. Capable of handling a lot of power. When time to replace Diablo's clutch, it will be another UUC. However, for the stock beast, I'll stick with OEM. It has functioned fine for 66k mi. No complaints.

Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ive got some mods to my car and i do track her from time to time so i went with the uuc with the lwfw performance organic and have had no issues

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
UUC or OEM Clutch

I have both OEM and UUC equipped cars. For Diablo, no question... UUC. It is a great clutch and a joy to use in combination with a LWFW. Capable of handling a lot of power. When time to replace Diablo's clutch, it will be another UUC. However, for the stock beast, I'll stick with OEM. It has functioned fine for 66k mi. No complaints.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Packard had a great quote for their advertising - "Ask the man who owns one." In your case, Dave is that man. He has two M5s, one at each end of the spectrum - a stocker and an Area 51 monster. You would do well to follow his advice. It all depends on what you plan on doing with your car. If you're just going to drive it, by all means go OEM. If you are going to be racing it, something along the lines of what M5 Deamon has could fill the bill.

Be aware that there are nuances of the UUC that you may want to consider before buying one, i.e. installing a clutch stop to make it easier to drive on a day-to-day basis. My experience with the UUC clutch is that it grabs at the very top of the clutch pedal travel making a clutch stop an almost mandatory option.

Ray

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm also shopping around. There is plenty on here re: UUC, but not much about the Rogue setup. Can anyone chime in?

Thanks,
-D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. My car is stock. The problem I have is when I drag race the clutch get hot I think and start slipping.

It drives me nut.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts. My car is stock. The problem I have is when I drag race the clutch get hot I think and start slipping.
I am beginning to think that a lot of people, including me, may have been confused, or at least incorrectly just assumed, the slipping feeling is primarily due to clutch wear when it could also be the "SAC" mechanism of the stock LUK pressure plate at work that is causing the minor slippage feeling (as opposed to major slippage due to a worn clutch). Clutch may still be good & not even need to be replaced.

In theory, the SAC pressure plate is a noble idea for those that do not have experience driving a manual transmission. The mechanism tries to maintain the same clutch pedal engagement height at all times while compensating for clutch disc wear. For those that have manual transmission experience, it causes frustration as it compromises true clutch engagement and feel. Another downside of the SAC system is that it does not allow for full clamping force especially when the disc starts to wear from stock thickness. The Rogue Engineering PCS eliminates the use of the SAC pressure plate and uses a more traditional style pressure plate allowing the clutch system that allows for 100% clutch engagement that can be modulated.http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RE&Category_Code=LTWF
I am also interested in any feedback from rogue clutch (& flywheel) users. Sounds fairly good. Anybody?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
OEM....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the OEM, and now the UUC with the LWFW... If I were to do it over again, I would go OEM... The LWFW rattles... and the extra benefit has no bearing on me since I do not track or drag the car...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the UUC with LWFW. I don't race or drag race and the rattle was just not pleasant to deal with. I could eliminate most of it with higher revs on launch, but, just not my thing. I went back to stock OEM Flywheel and clutch. Very happy again! BTW, if I ever did start competing with it for some reason, I'd put the UUC units back in.
Wayne

·
Registered
530 Posts
I havee UUC Stage III, 6 puck organic clutch and LWFW. Some chatter on engagement, and rollover noise from the tranny, but I can beat the snot out of it and it doesn't even whimper.

I like to bang second real hard. I probably am breaking the rear diff mount a little, nothing some MIG welding won't fix.

However--this clutch aint for the faint of heart. You have to value performance first. Cost about $3500 installed. Last clutch I will ever buy for this car.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yup

I havee UUC Stage III, 6 puck organic clutch and LWFW. Some chatter on engagement, and rollover noise from the tranny, but I can beat the snot out of it and it doesn't even whimper.

I like to bang second real hard. I probably am breaking the rear diff mount a little, nothing some MIG welding won't fix.

However--this clutch aint for the faint of heart. You have to value performance first. Cost about $3500 installed. Last clutch I will ever buy for this car.
Great write-up. I opted for the UUC 8 puck segmented kevlar clutch and LWFW due to hp limitations on the organic clutches. Three trips to the drags and the original S3 clutch was toast.

Since this UUC clutch is essentially 'on-off,' it takes a bit of getting used to for every day driving. Additionally, the clutch engages at the very top of the clutch pedal travel making the installation of the UUC "Big Boy" V3.0 clutch stop highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have the UUC 11" setup in my car.

I have no problems with noise. The clutch is not as smooth as the
OEM one but it GRIPS.

Also - the service from Rob & the gang at UUC has been very good.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
OEM was ok. I've had the UUC Direct Fit organic and it burned out really quickly. I replaced it with their v12 kit and the chatter is more significant than I expected - actually quite annoying. Hopefully it will last longer than their DF Organic, but when it comes time to change I'm hoping Dinan has their new resurfaceable flywheel out. I'll most likely go that route and it will be just as light but also quiet like stock, and pair it with either a Dinan or OEM clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts