BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed a popping or clicking sound when the clutch is slightly pressed.? this is a new clutch(received under warranty)and it seems the old 1 did the same thing. there is no slipage or problems but i do notice it.is this common?thanks :M5launch: :cool: :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
gilmores m5 said:
has anyone noticed a popping or clicking sound when the clutch is slightly pressed.? this is a new clutch(received under warranty)and it seems the old 1 did the same thing. there is no slipage or problems but i do notice it.is this common?thanks :M5launch: :cool: :M5launch:
Popping and clicking is generally caused by failing linkage near the pedal that operates the main cylinder. In some cases, it can be caused by plastic electrical interlock switches for the cruise control and other gizmos that sense pedal position. There are quite a few flimsy parts involved. Stick your head under the dash & operate the pedal with your hand to see if the noises are coming from the interior of the car. Search for RSMillar's 540i home page writeup for repair and pics of pieces and description of failure mode. It may be on some tech tip sites too. He's mostly on 5er roadfly, if you're searching. I found links there about a year ago.

If the pops and clicks are coming from the bell housing & clutch area under the car, better ask your dealer if they replaced the stupid aluminum bearing retainer that the throwout bearing rides on. The bearing retainer is the sleeve that covers all but the tip of the splined transmission input shaft. They get a notch worn in them and make noise. The bearing retainer is a $100 part that some shops are too cheap to freshen up. I hear they last for about 100K mi, depending upon the driving style (city or highway). This repair requires tranny removal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a bunch...:cheers:
Lscman said:
Popping and clicking is generally caused by failing linkage near the pedal that operates the main cylinder. There are some plastic parts involved. Stick your head under the dash & operate the pedal with your hand to see if the noises are coming from the interior of the car. Search for RSMillar's 540i home page writeup for repair and pics of pieces and description of failure mode. It may be on some tech tip sites too. He's mostly on 5er roadfly, if you're searching. I found links there about a year ago.

If the pops and clicks are coming from the bell housing & clutch area under the car, better ask your dealer if they replaced the stupid aluminum bearing retainer that the throwout bearing rides on. The bearing retainer is the sleeve that covers all but the tip of the splined transmission input shaft. They get a notch worn in them and make noise. The bearing retainer is a $100 part that some shops are too cheap to freshen up. I hear they last for about 100K mi, depending upon the driving style (city or highway). This repair requires tranny removal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts