BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Got a bmw m5 e60 from 2005
Ive had ocasional transmission failure error warning but never noticed slipping.
When starting to drive from stoped i fell like some hick ups on the car... Like if the clutch grips and realeases...
Bad clutch?
Engine and gear box suports?
Fly wheel?
Any one had the same problem?
Dont want to change the clutch as im not 100%sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this an SMG? Try clutch reset first. While driving on straight stretch of road at around 40mph, move the transmission selector to N Neutral and pull on both paddle shifters at same time for about 3 seconds. This will recalibrate the clutch position when its worn out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see the transmission failure error when car is parked in cold weather for multiple days without use. It goes away after warming up.
Yours sounds like worn out clutch. The flywheel is pretty thick and clutch wears out more than flywheel.

This isn't a cheap job.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You need to read the codes to work out the problem, using INPA or ISTA, or maybe a third party OBDII reader?
I've had a similar transmission problem. No issue when the car is cold, but when it warms up and after maybe an hour of driving, i get red and yellow cogs intermittently. Sometimes the fault clears when i go to change gear and it realises there is no problem, other times the problem still exists and the car can't select the gears properly, rides the clutch or kangaroos from a stop.
This is the clutch position sensor, you get three codes for it. Primary sensor circuit failling, secondary sensor circuit failling and clutch out of position. I can't recall the codes.

Other faults I've had include a slave cylinder failling, you'll note fluid on the ground, the car will refuse to move at all and you hear the SMG pump whine trying to build pressure but the leak prevents it, I wasn't able to get the codes for this before it went in for repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to read the codes to work out the problem, using INPA or ISTA, or maybe a third party OBDII reader?
I've had a similar transmission problem. No issue when the car is cold, but when it warms up and after maybe an hour of driving, i get red and yellow cogs intermittently. Sometimes the fault clears when i go to change gear and it realises there is no problem, other times the problem still exists and the car can't select the gears properly, rides the clutch or kangaroos from a stop.
This is the clutch position sensor, you get three codes for it. Primary sensor circuit failling, secondary sensor circuit failling and clutch out of position. I can't recall the codes.

Other faults I've had include a slave cylinder failling, you'll note fluid on the ground, the car will refuse to move at all and you hear the SMG pump whine trying to build pressure but the leak prevents it, I wasn't able to get the codes for this before it went in for repair.
Thank for the help! Ill try to load those softwares... Makes sense to be the sensor for clutch position.
I only read codes with delphi... Maybe not the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts