BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my clutch is starting to slip when I shift from 2nd to 3rd while accelerating hard. Should I go ahead and get the clutch replaced ? Are there any upgrades BMW has made to the clutch ? Are the parts readily available ? I will need my car for a track event on 11-18-00 .

------------------

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
If your foot is OFF the clutch and it was not slipping, and just by flooring it it starts to slip, you must have it replaced ASAP. It will get worse fast.

If it keeps slipping from when your foot comes off the clutch because you have a lot of power on, but not otherwise, its pretty burned but if you really baby it and make sure it is fully engaged before applying much throttle, it will last a few thousand miles. Of course, I hope you don't have hills where you live.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Take it in for repair it should be covered by the warranty. Please don't tell them you need it back for a track event

Let us know how it comes out. Good luck.

Originally posted by Parkerfe:
Now my clutch is starting to slip when I shift from 2nd to 3rd while accelerating hard. Should I go ahead and get the clutch replaced ? Are there any upgrades BMW has made to the clutch ? Are the parts readily available ? I will need my car for a track event on 11-18-00 .

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
That's how my problems started (with the 3-4 change anyways), and things went from bad to crazy. I'd get it replaced ASAP to avoid the headaches.

--Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Parkerfe

Get the clutch replaced immendiately under warranty and remember my advice previously posted - do not mention to BMW that your clutch is "slipping", but that it is "shuddering" which seems to result in a loss of accelleration (inotherwords act DUMB!!).

A slipping clutch is theoretically not covered under warranty although I suspect that BMW would come to the party anyway, however a shudder in the clutch is a definate warranty claim.

I had mine replaced a couple of months ago here in Australia and it was with a new clutch design rather than the original.

Good luck with it!

AndrewE

[This message has been edited by andrewe (edited 07 November 2000).]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Originally posted by andrewe:
Parkerfe

...it was with a new clutch design rather than the original....

What is this "new clutch design"? an after market clutch? BMW original?

A

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
He's referring to the updated M5 cluch, which is a slightly modified version of the Z8 clutch. The result is fantastic. You shouldn't have to worry at all, Coolvc, because yours is a recent car.

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well, by now, you'd know if you had the old one. I think it was roughly the 4/00 build dates and later. There was a lengthy thread some time ago regarding this.

--Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your clutch. Once the clutchface is glazed and you get slippage with your foot off of the clutch pedal you need to have the clutch replaced.

Mine is a 7/00 build date so I'm glad to hear it has the updated clutch. However, the clutch is always going to be the weakest link in the drive train. Any car with 400 hp, 370 ft lbs of torque and 24 linear inches of rubber on the ground at the drive wheels is going to require some care and good clutch work when you are "getting on it."

With the old high performance muscle cars with comparable out-put engines, the tires were narrow enough that they would break traction easier. These new 275/35 low profile tires are a lot tougher to break loose and therefore put a lot more stress on the clutch and universal joints. I expect we will be hearing of a lot of clutch problems with the M5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts