BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 M5 that I got back March of last year. I had the dealer run a vin report to find out repairs or issues with the car. I found that the clutch had been replaced twice under warranty ( BMW never replaces clutches under warranty). The last clutch was done at 13,300 miles, at the same time the original owner had Dinan installed. I do not know what stage Dinan was put in and it was not listed in the dealer report. I know it was done in Long Island, NY and the report was through BMW in Wayne, NJ. At any rate, every once and a while the clutch on my car will not engage when I release it, and the car rev's up to about 5000 rpm. This has happened about five times since I got it. Also what happens more often, is that the car will bounce in second. That is the only way to explain it, kind of like I dropped the clutch to fast. One other thing that I have noticed with my car is that it idles at 1000 rpm warmed up, and 1250 cold. I assume this is normal for Dinan, and the dealer couldn't answer any of my questions, I am hoping maybe some of you can. Thanks for response.

Kats

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Idle is not right it's too high.. With a LWF it will idle a few hundred rpms higher 650-700 ish is where mines idles with LWF. Stock idle is 500ish IIRC.. It sounds like the pressure plate is sticking too. Or maybe the slave cylinder is on it's way out..

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I have 2000 M5 that I got back March of last year. I had the dealer run a vin report to find out repairs or issues with the car. I found that the clutch had been replaced twice under warranty ( BMW never replaces clutches under warranty). The last clutch was done at 13,300 miles, at the same time the original owner had Dinan installed. I do not know what stage Dinan was put in and it was not listed in the dealer report. I know it was done in Long Island, NY and the report was through BMW in Wayne, NJ. At any rate, every once and a while the clutch on my car will not engage when I release it, and the car rev's up to about 5000 rpm. This has happened about five times since I got it. Also what happens more often, is that the car will bounce in second. That is the only way to explain it, kind of like I dropped the clutch to fast. One other thing that I have noticed with my car is that it idles at 1000 rpm warmed up, and 1250 cold. I assume this is normal for Dinan, and the dealer couldn't answer any of my questions, I am hoping maybe some of you can. Thanks for response.

Kats

Dinan keeps a list by VIN, so you might contact the "home office" in Morgan Hills and see what they show. I would guess you have a light weight flywheel and a Dinan ECU upgrade, which among other things increased the idle speed to help compensate for the lighter flywheel. Normal idle speed is about 650 rpm. Dinan ECU often raises the rev limit to 7300 rpm (easy to test) and delimits the cars 155 factory setting (a little harder to test if you want to keep your license!):1:

If the car is revving to 5k, then the clutch simply isn't engaging. If standard pressure plate, I believe you still have the self adjustment clutch mechanism (SAC) which is designed to keep your pedal in the same place as the disc wears. It is a known weak spot and causes clutches to hang up all the time. It prevents proper engagement of the clutch disc. Aftermarket tuners get rid of it. Only downside is pedal gets higher as clutch wears (but so gradually you won't notice) and pedal effort may increase slightly.

If you can contact the prior owner (run the VIN on google or see if the dealer will contact the prior owner for you with a request to contact you), that would be helpful.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Also what happens more often, is that the car will bounce in second. That is the only way to explain it, kind of like I dropped the clutch to fast.
User error.

BTW, did I read your post correctly in that your car was on its third clutch at 13,300 miles? My factory original clutch is being changed today at 90k miles.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also the third owner, first two clutches where replaced under warranty for the original owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts