BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First off want to thank you for taking the time to read the current issue i am having and providing me with the knowledge of how to fix it.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago with 53K miles on it.

I was going down the freeway about 100 mph and began to slow down. I then tried to shift quickly and ended up going in between 4th and 6th or 4th and second WHILE still holding in the clutch pedal. I do not believe i ever let go of the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. There was no sound of grinding or anything concerning due to my miscalculation.

:|INSTANTLY the clutch pedal began to feel "soft", "spongey" then it was 2 seconds before hand.

Overall the transmission still shifts smoothly and all the gears work just fine. Its just the clutch pedal became a concern for me.

Please if you could provide as much information as possible in order to diagnose this issue properly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
How does the clutch feel now? You said it still shifts smoothly and gears work fine.

If you didn't engage the clutch, you should be fine. It might just be in your mind -- that you narrowly dodged a money shift -- and your clutch is fine.

I have intentionally done many 4:2 shifts, and skipped 3rd, on some hairpins at the track. I'm usually coming in at 120ish, HARD on the brakes and hold my revs, skip 3rd, and into 2nd at about 45mph or 6000ish RPM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fiftytwoeighty for the reply

How does the clutch feel now? You said it still shifts smoothly and gears work fine.
I can image the clutch still feels the same as a result of the incident, "soft/spongey." But the gearbox itself feels exactly the same, and true. No concerns there.

Would it be possible that the fluid could be low? I am a little confused on the proper problem solving on this M5 as i just got the vehicle. Also the clutch going immediately soft and was not a gradual occurrence raising a lot of questions for me!

Glad this forum is around and has a great support group!

Thanks to all further replies.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I can image the clutch still feels the same as a result of the incident, "soft/spongey." But the gearbox itself feels exactly the same, and true. No concerns there.

Would it be possible that the fluid could be low? I am a little confused on the proper problem solving on this M5 as i just got the vehicle. Also the clutch going immediately soft and was not a gradual occurrence raising a lot of questions for me!

Glad this forum is around and has a great support group!

Thanks to all further replies.
Yes, check the fluid.

I know this sounds stupid, but check your floor mat. I've had it slide, move forward, and "catch" the clutch pedal when fully depressed. The little bit of resistance made my pedal feel flat/soft. When I'm at the track, my floor mats get tossed, for that very reason.

I'm sure others will chime in as well. It's always hard, troubleshooting a "new to you" car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
When you shut the car off and turn it back on is the pedal hard again? If so, put it in m mode and run through the gears and see if it has the same soft feel. I have heard of problems on other cars with the Self Adjusting Clutch ( SAC). If it's now always soft, replace the master or slave cylinders and while you are in there, take out the clutch delay valve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you shut the car off and turn it back on is the pedal hard again? If so, put it in m mode and run through the gears and see if it has the same soft feel. I have heard of problems on other cars with the Self Adjusting Clutch ( SAC). If it's now always soft, replace the master or slave cylinders and while you are in there, take out the clutch delay valve
Shutting the car off: Clutch pedal feels the same when driving.
As for the Slave/master cylinder replacement is it possible that they would cause the instantaneous fade of the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fluid to check is the brake fluid, brake fluid reservoir supplies the clutch also, the pick up is a bit above the bottom of the reservoir so that you will still have brakes if clutch leaks. Manual transmission level check is under the car.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input.

It has been a little over a week now that i have been experiencing a soft clutch better. Its getting better nor worse. I was able to check the brake/trans fluid under the cabin filter today and it appears the level is correct? Please view images.

What is the next step or diagnose i can run to determine the issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fluid level looks good. Check for fluid under floor mats under clutch pedal. If it was an older M6 I would suggest checking for a cracked mount or worn pedal bushing.
The slave cylinder may be failing, check for fluid under dust cover.
Was the clutch circuit get flushed when the brakes were done, chance of getting air in hydrolics if level not watched during brake fluid flush.

Next step for me would to have the clutch system flushed/bleed before replacing parts.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you take a picture of your fuse panel in the glove box? I'm trying to fix a dumb mistake and you have same year and transmission as I do. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you take a picture of your fuse panel in the glove box? I'm trying to fix a dumb mistake and you have same year and transmission as I do. Thanks!

Will do. I'll send you a picture later on today if still needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes please. I am not getting anywhere playing an old time phone operator unplugging and plugging in fuses to see what magical error I get in idrive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are in north metro ATL, I'll buy you a beer for your trouble

·
Registered
69 Posts
This symptom occurred in my miata race car when the master cyl started to leak and air got in the lines. Slave cyl and clutck line was replaced at the same time bit I think it was the master that was the cause.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts