BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had my clutch replaced. Problems leading up to replacement were not diagnosed properly and each time I got the car back from dealer I could tell that something was not right (4 trips to dealer). Each time they said that everything was fine and that what I thought was suspect was normal. Now I have car back and it still is not right. You can feel the clutch slipping unless you are pretty much full bore. For more history check this ( Long winded thread) I hijacked from member coolcat:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...roblem-clutch-gearbox-but-no-error-codes.html

So, I have some questions:
1. When the dealer said it was finished but needed to be thoroughly test driven (SA took home over night) and requires some break in, is that true?

2. Would flywheel be replaced as standard procedure since they are doing clutch?

3. Does anyone know of a BMW dealer in Jersey or Eastern PA that has a good M technician working on cars or even maybe just a dealer who can competently diagnose and replace a clutch and new clutch adaptations?

4. Anyone in central Jersey with an 06' M5 (mine is a late 06 build w/63,000 miles) that is mechanically sound like to help me out and drive my car so that I know that I am not losing my mind?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
When the dealer replaced my clutch and flywheel, the clutch would slip badly but got better after about 150 miles of driving. You could try driving in shift setting 3 or higher and see how it behaves.

Also, note that dealer reprograms the SMG module after clutch replacement.

·
Registered
750 Posts
^^ agreed Ahmed -- but I fail to see why it would require the SA to take the car to his home overnight. If it needs to be test-driven, this can be done during working hours.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Like Ahmed said, the clutch does need a break - in run of around 200 kms.

Actually, any part you replace needs a break in.

The flywheel does not need to be replaced with the clutch, provided it is ok. However, it is highly recommended that you do change it as it saves labour cost, which in this case is quite high.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the feedback

Dealer did not tell me about break in. I emailed SA and asked yesterday. He said about 500 miles of moderate driving. I definitely feel the slipping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What brand of clutch did they replace it with. Zach's or valeo... I think the upgraded clucth are from zach's...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I read a few different threads on different forums about breaking in the clutch. It's all about the shifts and not the mileage. A break in would require about 800-1000 shifts while driving your car like a normal car. Don't race or rev it up high. Shift up at about 4500 and shift down at 2000.

People on the board all live in different places so 500 miles for me in and around town compared to someone doing 500 miles over the highway would have a very different outcome.

I guess it would be a smart idea to check how often you shift in the average miles that you drive and then see how many miles you would have to drive to do 800-1000 shifts.

Personally Im thinking about going to simple track and just drive circles like an idiot .. constant accelerating/slowing down and shifting. Maybe I'd get 50 shifts in 1 mile or so lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Probably a good idea to review what the Owner's Manual says about Break-In...It definitely says to observe the break-in procedures again after replacing parts.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Official BMW recommendation is 500 miles of moderate driving.

And your car should never leave a dealer unless you have approved.

Will almost ensure it was used like the fastest car on the road....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts