BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
'22 X5 M50i, '12 E92 M3, '08 E60 M5
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those playing along at home, i'm having a shop do my 6mt swap. they're through the coding and all the work, but are now having an issue with what at first we thought was the throw out bearing, but may now be something else. the symptoms are a loud grinding noise when depressing the clutch, with what appear to be hot spots on the clutch friction disk.

we're using this clutch kit from LUK, a genuine BMW M5 throw out bearing, and a new E92 DMF. Given that it only makes the grinding noise when the clutch is depressed, and has no issues shifting, we're not looking at the trans itself (though they did put it on a stand and spun it up to 12K rpm with no issues, or play, and they replaced the fluid in it and found no shavings). The trans is a euro spec one out of an '08 M3. Any suggestions? Any common pitfalls that we may have fallen into here? Shop owner thought it was a bad TOB at first, now is wondering if the clutch kit had the wrong pressure plate in it or something else weird.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Circle

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Administrator
4,289 Posts
Afaik yes, either all m3 or all m5 clutch+fw. That's not to say what you have won't work, given you also went with a brass pin which usually gives trouble. I'd go with a stock fork pin first. Problem is we're talking about dropping the trans so shop may not be happy to try one thing at a time. Up to you how you want to proceed, but yes the m3 fw & clutch do work.

If using all m3 clutch I'd also use m3 bearing and fork.

· Registered
1,579 Posts
i could swear i saw a post on here about using the E90 DMF, but are you saying in that case people use the M3 clutch as well?

i'll confirm but i think it's the one off FCP Euro's kit -- BMW Bronze Clutch Fork Pivot - AGA 21511223328 and BMW Clutch Pivot Fork - Genuine BMW 21511204229

also here's the DMF BMW Dual Mass Flywheel - LuK 21212283820
So you are saying the M5 clutch cover bolted on the M3 DMF? My factory 6MT current setup is a LUK M3 clutch set and LUK M3 DMF.. no issues whatsoever and it def has no issues gripping. I do have some slight noise when the clutch is not pressed down but it is due to the RTD shifter which is a non-issue. Here is a photo of the two DMF's. The left one is obviously the M5. I didnt bother test fitting the M3 clutch on the M5 DMF.
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Wheel

· Registered
2006 BMW M5 6 Speed Manual Conversion
637 Posts
I've also used LUK clutch and DMF for E9X M3 and it works flawlesly on my 6 MT Conversion.
Also, I've used the factory clutch fork pivot and in my experience and some other people smarter than me, bronze pivot can only cause issues because of friction issues and it's more of hype than it does some good.
When I removed SMG tranny at 139K+, the factory plastic pivot was in great shape, worn but still OK.
I'm also thinking that mixing M3 and M5 components might be an issue here but I'm only guessing.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, gonna keep digging and will keep y’all posted.

re: fork pin, would that be an immediate grindingnoise? That’s just a pivot point, right? Should be rpm independent?

· Administrator
4,289 Posts
What do you think the chances are they installed geitribeseite facing the engine?
I like this idea. Altho unlikely due to the geared hub used to connect both friction discs. Doubt there's room to install it backwards, but I haven't tried so maybe.

The whole disc and pp also comes preassembled and shouldn't be clocked to keep everything balanced.

· Registered
419 Posts
I like this idea. Altho unlikely due to the geared hub used to connect both friction discs. Doubt there's room to install it backwards, but I haven't tried so maybe.

The whole disc and pp also comes preassembled and shouldn't be clocked to keep everything balanced.
How can you keep it balanced, when the clutch disks can spin independently (when depress) from the pressure plate /flywheel. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts