BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. My standard clutch is on the verge of having equal friction to that of a wheel bearing so I think it's time for a new one.

I'm looking for something that can handle abuse and future plans for supercharger. I've done a bit of research into the UUC twin plate kit and that seems really good. I'm more curious to know what other twin plates are out there. I'll most likely need a fly wheel given how much my clutch has been slipping recently.
I don't care if I have... clutch chatter, small grab points and heavy feel just not a full button. I'm ideally looking for 'drive it like it's stolen' durability

I'd really like to hear from people who have had experience with with clutch kits such as the..

Spec triple plate
UUC twin plate
OSgiken Twin plate

Or even a single plate / alloy fly wheel combination

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
you're better off with a standard single disc setup reliability wise. im running the south bend stage 3 daily in mine and i just went FI. i've ran their stage 3 daily clutch for over a year with zero issues. all their stuff is sach's or luk parts, all good proven brands. also a great company to deal with.

this is the one i got, K70282-SS-O also gets rid of the self adjusting pressure plate.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi. My standard clutch is on the verge of having equal friction to that of a wheel bearing so I think it's time for a new one.
LOL yeah I compared mine when it started showing some slip as to the tires had too much grip, more than the clutch on a hard launch.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
you're better off with a standard single disc setup reliability wise. im running the south bend stage 3 daily in mine and i just went FI. i've ran their stage 3 daily clutch for over a year with zero issues. all their stuff is sach's or luk parts, all good proven brands. also a great company to deal with.

this is the one i got, K70282-SS-O also gets rid of the self adjusting pressure plate.
How does that clutch compare to OEM with pedal feel/effort? How does it feel after sitting in stop & go traffic for a while?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think I may have worded my first post a bit wrong. Basically I just want the highest power rated clutch possible that I can abuse to the point of people shaking their heads at what once was an executive saloon being driven harder than sasha gray.

It gets driven twice a month, normally around lonely windy roads getting pushed to the limit and it does see the track on occasion

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
if that is the case then forget about the stock size 240mm clutch and go with the 280mm setup. start your research on 850csi clutch upgrade, or the similar aftermarket options. be prepared for the price though as you need a new larger flywheel as well. aftermarket 280mm kits average around $2k.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that seems like the most likely option although I'm not sure which kit is best. That spec triple plate seems like good value but don't know how good the quality will be some of the mitsubishi seem to have mixed reviews

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you don't want chatter and sensitive engagements, a dual clutch will not be for you. I second the south bend stage3 endurance. You still have to respect any clutch you get since you are dealing with organic material which can glaze with heat and friction. But if you go with a Carbon Kevlar material, it will go back to its original state when cooled off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't want chatter and sensitive engagements, a dual clutch will not be for you. I second the south bend stage3 endurance. You still have to respect any clutch you get since you are dealing with organic material which can glaze with heat and friction. But if you go with a Carbon Kevlar material, it will go back to its original state when cooled off.
As I said. I may have worded my initial post wrong. chatter, short engagement, heavy clutch... Does not bother me in the slightest. I just want something that will handle abuse.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
As I said. I may have worded my initial post wrong. chatter, short engagement, heavy clutch... Does not bother me in the slightest. I just want something that will handle abuse.

Buy my stage 3 system.

I bough it from rouge engineering.

V12 size light weight FW with feramic disk, brand new pp, and brand new organic disk.

Make an offer. This costs close to 3k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
632 Posts

Since you do not mind noise and chatter it looks like Paul88 has your clutch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Well, since you dont mind those things, I think it would be hard to pass up the price of a twin disc from Spec. Sounds like they had slight issues upon release, but hopefully they have addressed these things and offer what you need.

Speaking from a cost standpoint, piecing together a LTFW, non-organic disc, and increased pressure plate... it would come to, or even cost more than their twin disc kit IIRC.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are there alot of people "hard launching" the M5? I certainly pound on it at upper rpms but never really from dead start...that's asking for alot of trouble given the launch pounding through drivetrain. Especially with sticky Michellins.
I wouldn't think BMW would have designed the driveshaft and pumpkin for "American abuse". These things are top end autobahn cruisers with a decent nod to cornering imo.

I may be underestimating the stock setup but I am not flogging mine from dead stops...anybody have input on this?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there alot of people "hard launching" the M5? I certainly pound on it at upper rpms but never really from dead start...that's asking for alot of trouble given the launch pounding through drivetrain. Especially with sticky Michellins.
I wouldn't think BMW would have designed the driveshaft and pumpkin for "American abuse". These things are top end autobahn cruisers with a decent nod to cornering imo.

I may be underestimating the stock setup but I am not flogging mine from dead stops...anybody have input on this?
Yeah, I regularly hard launch my car. 1st gear is short enough, even with my slipping clutch now 1st gear holds on okay. I'll generally launch at about 2,500rpm, full clutch drop and mash the throttle and sit on redline for a few seconds before grabbing 2nd. That's the easy way though. If want to launch it hard i'll quickly but consistently ride off the clutch. Apply the throttle in the same way reversed from about the same rpm. The tail shaft guibo absorbs a lot of the hammer like power input to the diff.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
The kit I have is not being sold anymore by RE :)

So it looks like I have the last one for sale, ha ha.

I posted pictures of the kit in another post.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
if you can source a 850csi flywheel you can put together a kit cheaper than anything you could find from the regular vendors. the 850csi clutch kit is no longer available direct from bmw but you can still find them aftermarket. im willing to bet that the stock 850 clutch will bolt up to most of the 280mm flywheels out there.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

That's a good point. I wonder why BMW even allowed the M5 to be sold in the US :eek:

I doubt that it would be possible to spin the rear tires if one used Michelin tires as they are supposed to; it certainly isn't possible with wider aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's a good point. I wonder why BMW even allowed the M5 to be sold in the US :eek:

I doubt that it would be possible to spin the rear tires if one used Michelin tires as they are supposed to; it certainly isn't possible with wider aftermarket wheels.

I'm sure they would love people to break cars...it's called sales and service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts