BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1992 E34 M5. As I've learned these came with a 5-speed manual transmission except for the 1995 model. My car has the 6 speed gearbox from the 1995.

Does anyone know if the clutch will still fit? If I order a clutch for my 1992 (originally 5-speed), will it still fit even though my car has the 6-speed gearbox?

I'm looking to buy this one (D=240mm):

Sorry the language is Danish/Norwegian but I am from Norway.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You might want to look on realoem. I checked and it does look like that works for your car... But always better to search with your VIN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I did search with VIN but the 6-speed transmission is not standard in the 1992-model. So my car has the gearbox from and 1995 put into a 1992 car. That's what makes it a bit tricky.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, I understand. The search I did was manually entering for 6 speed 95 model. It showed the 240mm clutch with a matching part number that was in the equivalent part number list for the clutch you linked. If it also the same for your base model you should be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,

I actually have some new information that I learned today which might complicate things. I learned today that one of the previous owners installed this flywheel to the car, and I got this info directly from him:

The problem is that this flywheel is only compatible with the 3,6L engine according to Koed. How the previous owner managed to install this I am not sure. However, Koed says that the clutch I'm thinking of will not fit due to this, according to their papers. I'm not sure how easily I can get in contact with the previous owner. He might not be that responsive.

Also the standard flywheel seems to be a double-mass one and it's very expensive! I can't afford spending 1400 EUR in addition to a new clutch at the moment. Also I'm not keen on a double-mass flywheel because these are more likely to break from what I've read.

Any advice will be appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
3.6 cars came with a single mass flywheel and 3.8 car had the dual mass. However the the single mass can be interchanged with the dual mass with the use of shorter bolts and a 3.6 clutch/pressure plate, likely that is what the previous owner used when converting. Im not sure about the compatibility with a 6spd, but you may be able to just use a 3.6 clutch kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.6 cars came with a single mass flywheel and 3.8 car had the dual mass. However the the single mass can be interchanged with the dual mass with the use of shorter bolts and a 3.6 clutch/pressure plate, likely that is what the previous owner used when converting. Im not sure about the compatibility with a 6spd, but you may be able to just use a 3.6 clutch kit.
Yeah, it seems like a clutch kit for the 3,6L is what I need. Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the clutch fitted and works great. However, there is a new noise present when accelerating from low RPM in 2nd gear. It's hopefully possible to hear it in this video:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I wonder whether someone just didn't put something back properly and it is rattling... Might be able to see if you are able to get under the car... Check everything is tied in place.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It sounds like it is a ticking noise that correlates to the engine RPM? Does it happen when the car is in neutral with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor, or only when the car is in gear and moving?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A ticking noise is probably the fuel injectors 😃

The word 'ticking' I understand as tick tick tick. English is my 2nd language.

I am wondering about the vibration/grinding noise 👍

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok, so the noise when you give it gas at 15 and 28 seconds? I would say that that sounds like the normal G280 box of rocks, but it was not present before the installation of this new clutch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New video:

This is Getrag S6 420G and this noise was not present with the previous clutch kit:

the noise should be present during the following seconds:

0:15 – 0:20

0:31 – 0:34

0:39 – 0:41

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hmm, that is odd. I would guess that maybe something is loose down there, maybe some of the heat shielding, and at that certain RPM it is resonating?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts